Need some ideas, possibly pictures:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
This spring I plan to make one of my enclosures bigger. The area I plan on building this is gunna be by a gazebo and visible from the house. Usually I just use plywood and build enclosures like that. My question is. What can I do to make the boarders of te enclosure look good and appealing when people come over but still keep be tortoises inside. I need ideas and possibly pictures. Thinking of making a small fence or something. I'm not sure really need help haha . Just don't want it to be a eye sore,

Kyle

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
What if you paint the outside black or add some nice decorative wood paneling or something similar just to dress it up. Maybe I'm thinking about something like wainscoting. It's hard to type what I'm imagining in my head.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about the wrought iron fencing that Menards and Home Depot carries. It's what I use. If you needed it more non see threw, you could take some webbing and weave it through the lower portion. I will try to post a pic.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
This is a privacy type fence I built for my yard. I bought the individual fence boards and then cut them in half. Added the lattice for the look and for a little more height but it also allows me to see in. I love how this works for me. You can customize it however you want and make it any height you need. The boards are cheap too!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
  • Here is what I am talking about. The black fencing, it splits my yard into the differnet areas. The outside wood/chain link fence goes around the outside of the whole yard.
    6ae9b9de7e1ebcd110c438c58147a4b2.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I totally read your post wrong! My bad. I thought you meant for inside the house and you didn't want it to be an eyesore! Sorry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I pound the little green fence posts into the ground and attach 6' "Dog Ear pickets, cut to length, with screws. The 3' posts are a couple bucks and the lumber is about $1.50 each. It looks good. (TO ME.) You can easily expand it in the future and plant decorative bushes around it, etc.
The picture is of a pen that I just added sides and a roof on to. (The 2x4 are for the roof support.)
For years, it's been set up with just the wood and posts at about 2' tall.
It shows how easy it is to make larger, put up, take down and modify.
If you make the the thing in 6 foot sections, say 6x6 or 6x12...12x24 etc. You dont even have to cut the wood.
It is very sturdy when you pound the stakes in nice.

image_114.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ShannonC

South Carolina
This is a privacy type fence I built for my yard. I bought the individual fence boards and then cut them in half. Added the lattice for the look and for a little more height but it also allows me to see in. I love how this works for me. You can customize it however you want and make it any height you need. The boards are cheap too!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

I really like these panels!! I have been trying to decide how to make an outdoor enclosure for my Russian, just for this year. (We are doing a large scale enclosure for all the torts for next year) Your panels give me a couple of good ideas!
ETA: Separate enclosures, just all attached together.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Thanks everyone! the ideas are helping, and I do like the fence idea. I really am like the stone wall too. Hmm.. More ideas welcome, i guess this can help more then just me. People can get ideas

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We do have a very nice couple of threads pinned at the top of the Enclosure section where Jacqui is putting together members' pictures of their enclosures.

ShannonC

South Carolina
I really love the stone walls too!! I just can't afford to do all that AND all the other stuff I need to do, since I just recently acquired all of my tortoises. LOL