need some information on how to help a blind Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest
I posted this last night but I am reposting and changing the subject.

The family and I where at a local reptile expo. I had already bought what I was planning on getting which was a quartet of Russians, a pair of Eastern Box turtles and 2 Halmahera skinks. When I was at a friends booth and my girls fell in love with a little Sulcata that was born blind. It is 2 months old and thriving but how will it do on it's own should I have bought one of it's clutch mates? I will post pictures tomorrow...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I read your original thread. I have not experience with a blind tort. However, I would think it is the same as any blind animal or human. Get your enclosure set up right the first time and then don't change a thing, until of course he out grows it, then do the same thing only in a larger enclosure. Second, routine. Keep a routine and feed in the same place. Make sure there are no ramps, rocks, logs he could climb but fall off of. He should be able to figure out quite easily where everything is in time. Good luck. One more thing, I would not put his hide box under any higher heat temps. Just incase he gets hot and can't find the way out of the box.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
What about handling him? Is it okay to pick him up and hold him or should we leave him be for a few days? I haven't put a hide in his enclosure yet. Also should I use an aquarium for him or a tortoise type table?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would treat the handling the same as for any new tortoise. They do need to get used to it.

establish that routine: Lights on, Heat On, Soak, feed at the same time every morning so he gets used to it and then leave the handling and any sudden noise around him to a minimum... talk to him when you are in the room so he knows that you're there and the handling doesn't come as so much of a shock.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A blind turtle or tortoise eats better when you pile up his food up against the wall so it doesn't get pushed away from him as he bites at it.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Here are some pictures of the Sulcata...

DSCN8308.jpg

DSCN8302.jpg

DSCN8293.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Oh man, that just breaks your heart, doesn't it? I have raised several blind animals and after they get used to the routine and where stuff is they can do fine. You need to make sure he's eating everyday, I fed my babies twice a day.
Good luck with him and remember you have all of us to cheer you on and help...

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Aw, that breaks my little heart! He has no eyes! You will need to dedicate a lot more time than normal.. you might need to handfeed him. Good luck with him!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
t9dragon said:
How do you hand feed a tortoise? I have hand feed many animals but never a tortoise...

Well, the tortoise should be able to smell the food and he might attempt to bite it. He might miss so you can just help him out a little by positioning the food where he can eat it.

grooby

5 Year Member
thats really awesome you took up the challenge of adopting him!i wish you the best of luck everybody seems to have already given great advice.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he needs more humidty in there.. and what is he eating? has he eaten? handfeeding is holding the food in front of him while he eats.. try spring mix salad greens... how old is he? did the seller give you any info?

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Laura said:
he needs more humidty in there.. and what is he eating? has he eaten? handfeeding is holding the food in front of him while he eats.. try spring mix salad greens... how old is he? did the seller give you any info?

I was told he is about 2 months old. Yes he has eaten since he has been home. As for the seller, who is a good friend of mine, bought probably 20 or so Sulcata's wholesale from someone else. So there really is no background info on the tort.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Not sure as to what the temps and humidity should be, I just thought if it was in an aquarium it would hold better temps and that way I can mist him better. Right now he is in the bottom of a guinea pig cage..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fantastic! The little one will do just fine, so will you....as with any other individual living thing, you two will get a routine down and be sailing along in no time...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.