Need to find a Russian Tortoise seller in Brazil!

thaismcr

Location (City and/or State)
São Paulo
Hi there!

I’m from Brazil and after much research and consideration I’ve decided to adopt a Russian Tortoise (testudo horsfieldii). I’ve come to learn a lot about the species (it’s an ever-going research) and I think it is the most adequate for me, however I can’t seem to be able to find one single person willing to sell or donate one in the country. I’ve heard some breeders say that the species doesn’t exist in Brazil, which seems weird to me because the climate seems adequate enough for the tortoise to thrive (it’s not like wanting to bring a tropical species to Siberia or anything like that!).

Anyway do any of you know about any vendors in Brazil? Is it possible to bring one from overseas or that would be considered smuggling? I don’t want to have any problems with the law, I just want one badly and am seeking help from you guys to find a way to get it.

Here’s hoping that someone here can help me out. Btw, feel free to reach out to me either here or privately through PM’s.

THANK YOU!!!!

thaismcr

São Paulo
Btw, is it possible to safely ship an egg internationally? I honestly have no idea! If it is, does any of you know about a seller who would do this? Again, I’m specifically looking for a horsfieldii or perhaps even a hermann.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Btw, is it possible to safely ship an egg internationally? I honestly have no idea! If it is, does any of you know about a seller who would do this? Again, I’m specifically looking for a horsfieldii or perhaps even a hermann.
There are only 2 breeders I know of who ship tortoise eggs within the United States, and definitely not internationally. It would be too risky given the time frame and methods for transport. Here they are shipped "overnight priority" to be delivered as quickly as possible. Plus I am sure there are laws regarding exporting eggs that likely won't permit it. Sorry.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hi there!

I’m from Brazil and after much research and consideration I’ve decided to adopt a Russian Tortoise (testudo horsfieldii). I’ve come to learn a lot about the species (it’s an ever-going research) and I think it is the most adequate for me, however I can’t seem to be able to find one single person willing to sell or donate one in the country. I’ve heard some breeders say that the species doesn’t exist in Brazil, which seems weird to me because the climate seems adequate enough for the tortoise to thrive (it’s not like wanting to bring a tropical species to Siberia or anything like that!).

Anyway do any of you know about any vendors in Brazil? Is it possible to bring one from overseas or that would be considered smuggling? I don’t want to have any problems with the law, I just want one badly and am seeking help from you guys to find a way to get it.

Here’s hoping that someone here can help me out. Btw, feel free to reach out to me either here or privately through PM’s.

THANK YOU!!!!
The Russian tortoise lives in the wild in South-Central Asia. Anywhere else they are found in the world they were exported and sold in the pet trade. They are a pretty hardy species and I'm sure would thrive well where you are. Sadly I don't know Brazil laws in regard to the importation of wild animals, or where you would acquire one. I know they are still taken from the wild and exported around the world. I just don't know about Brazil.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. But definitely look into the laws your country has with regard to wild animal importing. Be wary of scammers, lots of them out there who will promise they can get what you want. Maybe check your neighboring countries to see if there are any pet stores or breeders who might have one? Good luck!