Need to get rid of tortoise

Kkdoug88

Location (City and/or State)
Chardon Ohio
Hi there!
My cousin is needing to get rid of her Russian Tortoise and I am helping her. She is lovely, but unfortunately would be happier getting the love and care she deserves. She’s healthy and well cared for, but as she’s grown has become too busy to give her the extra care. She’s so sad to make this decision, but knows it’s for the best!
The tortoise is named Elly, and she’s had her since 2015. She was quite small when she was purchased, so I would guess around 6-9 years of age. She’s a little sassy, but she loves climbing on things and spending time in the sun (sadly rare in Ohio.) She loves lettuce, cucumber and strawberries and basking in her lamps. Would anyone be interested in taking her over?
We can provide enclosure (wood 36x48), heat and uvb lamp/bulbs, as well as extra bedding/tunnel etc. local only. Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• 06CCF621-3F06-4733-8288-1C39DE8AD5F7.jpeg
    06CCF621-3F06-4733-8288-1C39DE8AD5F7.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 17
  • C28E12CE-0D3F-49AB-AFE0-6AFB310CDE4D.jpeg
    C28E12CE-0D3F-49AB-AFE0-6AFB310CDE4D.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 4F58D7AB-4523-4EEA-A33B-E21DE08367BC.jpeg
    4F58D7AB-4523-4EEA-A33B-E21DE08367BC.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 17
  • 6681905E-8CA8-414A-A6B4-9022C0D97158.jpeg
    6681905E-8CA8-414A-A6B4-9022C0D97158.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 17
  • F42DA50F-6B1B-4F87-9766-0C07CD3DD04E.jpeg
    F42DA50F-6B1B-4F87-9766-0C07CD3DD04E.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5A06920A-E6B8-4E9C-A535-A00C5B3CC50A.jpeg
    5A06920A-E6B8-4E9C-A535-A00C5B3CC50A.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 17

Tportz

Calumet, MI
Hi there!
My cousin is needing to get rid of her Russian Tortoise and I am helping her. She is lovely, but unfortunately would be happier getting the love and care she deserves. She’s healthy and well cared for, but as she’s grown has become too busy to give her the extra care. She’s so sad to make this decision, but knows it’s for the best!
The tortoise is named Elly, and she’s had her since 2015. She was quite small when she was purchased, so I would guess around 6-9 years of age. She’s a little sassy, but she loves climbing on things and spending time in the sun (sadly rare in Ohio.) She loves lettuce, cucumber and strawberries and basking in her lamps. Would anyone be interested in taking her over?
We can provide enclosure (wood 36x48), heat and uvb lamp/bulbs, as well as extra bedding/tunnel etc. local only. Thank you so much!!
Hello I would be interested! I teach middle school science and would love to have her as a classroom pet! Please reach out to me either on here or at my email: [email protected]
Thanks!
-Tim

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please tell your cousin to stop feeding fruit. It is bad for Russians. Cucumber is used for when more hydration is needed, not a good staple and lettuce is the poorest. She needs to be feeding broad leaf weeds and darker greens from the grocery store. Endive, mustard greens, kale, collards, etc
Is any calcium given? She appears to be lower in the back end and could have MBD.
Also be careful of new members that join just to get a free tort. A lot of them just want to sell them.
A class room is not a good home for a tortoise. A russian needs a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure for inside and bigger if possible for outside warm weather.
Good luck and hope the suggested improvements can be made.

Kkdoug88

Chardon Ohio
Please tell your cousin to stop feeding fruit. It is bad for Russians. Cucumber is used for when more hydration is needed, not a good staple and lettuce is the poorest. She needs to be feeding broad leaf weeds and darker greens from the grocery store. Endive, mustard greens, kale, collards, etc
Is any calcium given? She appears to be lower in the back end and could have MBD.
Also be careful of new members that join just to get a free tort. A lot of them just want to sell them.
A class room is not a good home for a tortoise. A russian needs a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure for inside and bigger if possible for outside warm weather.
Good luck and hope the suggested improvements can be made.
This is very helpful information, thank you very much! She does get a calcium powder on her lettuce frequently, but we find we have a tougher time getting her to eat with it. She only gets fruits every couple weeks but I will tel her to work that out of her diet. Do you have any suggestions on how to find a happier home for her? We really want to make sure she’s happiest so We do worry about who she goes home to. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look for someone that maybe already has tortoises. Has knowledge of proper care, check out the caresheet on this forum so you know what the proper care is. Also that they have room to provide a large 4x8 foot indoor enclosure and room for an outdoor enclosure.

Jlsretics

Chicago
Hi there!
I am a member of the Turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group and Chicago Herpetological Society, and also a Master Herpetologist certified by the Amphibian Foundation. I have a degree in Zoology with focus on herpetology from University of Michigan. I am starting a project with a few other people to provide captive bred Russian Tortoises for around the same price as imported in hopes to slow down and eventually stop the needless importation of tortoises. I currently live in Chicago but will be building on 10.acres in Tennessee my Tortoise Paradise. I would love to pay to ship this beautiful tortoise to add to this. Please email me [email protected] or text (815)981-5442 to discuss.