Need to Make A Humid Hide for an RT-Do you like Sphagnum Moss?

amyzabel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear, AZ
I have a 2 year old RT, Franklin. We just built him a 50" long indoor enclosure and it's time to put a humid hide in for him! He loves to burrow and sleep in his substrate, but I think he'd love a humid hide to snuggle in. He measures 6" in length, how big should the hide be? I've heard they like it to be real snug and tight. Was thinking of putting some sphagnum moss in it for him to burrow in. What are your thoughts on that?

Would love to see pics of your hides for some ideas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your russian tortoise can get by without a humid hide. They don't really need all the humidity that leopards and sulcatas need.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Try to keep the humidity in the enclosure at about 50%. If you keep the substrate a little moist and deep enough so they can burrow in that will be enough. If you provide a hide with lots of substrate in it so they can borrow while in the hide they will like it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to offer them damp substrate to burrow into and a humid hide.

I use upside down, black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. I cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise and dampen the substrate under it. I've tried to use moss in the past and every tortoise of every species I've tried it with, including russians, all try to eat it. You don't need it.

50" long, but how wide? An adult russian needs a lot of space. They need room to exercise and march around. I usually recommend 4x8' which would be 48x96", as a minimum.