Need to move Sulcata asap, would love feedback on my soon to be DIY enclosure

nguyenda

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a new Sulcata in a 10 gallon tank for the past 4 days. Definitely not suitable for him with the research I've done. So I want to move him as soon as possible. Currently I have this:
(https://imgur.com/a/Mdmng) laying around and wonder if it is suffice enough for an indoor enclosure? Dimensions are 57 liter tub - 35" x 19" x 7" which is about 15 gallons. I plan to use plexi glass and screw them in as walls tall enough where it is 3 times the current height which would essentially be a 45 gallon enclosure. With the walls on the box, I will screw the cap on top. The front I plan to make a door that will pull down from the top half of the wall so I have access to give water and food. Thanks in advance!

How does this plan for my DIY enclosure sound? Can I get some tips on what I can do differently or does this seem like a good enough idea. Also, I'm on a budget now, after spending $100 on an enclosure that is not suitable for my sully.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can we see your sully. How old is he and how big? For a hatchling upto about a year old your idea will work. Anything to big it will be too small.

nguyenda

California
Can we see your sully. How old is he and how big? For a hatchling upto about a year old your idea will work. Anything to big it will be too small.
Here is my little guy: streamable.com/7pv3r. He's a little less than 4 inches. I'm not certain on the age. My father bought him without that information. So I guess I'll look into something bigger. Could you roughly give me the dimensions of a plastic tub that will work?

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! Forgive me if I misunderstood, but the way you are calculating that it will now be a 45 gallon enclosure is just due to the added height, correct? If so, that won't last too long, so you may want to focus on making something with a larger floor plan. And adding the plexiglass seems like a lot of work, and you would have to do a lot of sealing to prevent the heat and humidity from escaping. There are a lot of good plans on here if you are handy enough to build an enclosure, or is you need something temporarily, a bigger plastic tote would be a lot easier then adding plexiglass to that one.

Bee62

Germany
I have a new Sulcata in a 10 gallon tank for the past 4 days. Definitely not suitable for him with the research I've done. So I want to move him as soon as possible. Currently I have this:
(https://imgur.com/a/Mdmng) laying around and wonder if it is suffice enough for an indoor enclosure? Dimensions are 57 liter tub - 35" x 19" x 7" which is about 15 gallons. I plan to use plexi glass and screw them in as walls tall enough where it is 3 times the current height which would essentially be a 45 gallon enclosure. With the walls on the box, I will screw the cap on top. The front I plan to make a door that will pull down from the top half of the wall so I have access to give water and food. Thanks in advance!

How does this plan for my DIY enclosure sound? Can I get some tips on what I can do differently or does this seem like a good enough idea. Also, I'm on a budget now, after spending $100 on an enclosure that is not suitable for my sully.
Hi, when you are knowing how to use a screwdriver you might take an old bookshelf or some wood boards and build a nice big enclosure that you cover with acrylic glas.
To screw too much bolts in the plastic of your plastic tub will make the material break or getting weak.
I think it is no good idea. Wood boards are more suitable.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Thanks for your help. By the way, I used to live in Chicago for 18 years, too. I lived on the NW side. North Avenue/Austin, North Avenue/Oak Park, and then moved to Addison. I went to Steinmetz and graduated in 1988. I'm a PITTSBURGH fan though. Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You might use a small portable radiator type heater on a thermostat. Otherwise I would guess 3-4 Che's depending on where you put it.
I had a 4x4 in the basement that had a ceiling height probably the same as pictured or a little more. Ran a mvb and a 60watt incandescent and 3 Che's. The mvb and incandescent were off at night and two of the Che's were on a thermostat. If it were upstairs in our part of the house, the Che's would have ran less or I probably could have got away with only using two of them along with the lights.
Depends on your location and the temp of where you place the enclosure. You'll have to play with it.