Need to sale or rehome my sulcata

ILoveMyTort82

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland
Hi...I'm looking for a good home for my sulcata tortoise. Would like to sale so I can purchase a smaller tort or will simply rehome to the right person. Long story short, boyfriends kids bought for me as a Christmas present last year not knowing how big they get and I dont have the means to keep her as she grows. I'm crying as I type this. I live in an apartment and she is outgrowing enclosures quickly and I have no idea when I'll be able to have a yard for her to be in. Her names Gertrude aka gerty. Shes about a year and 1/2 to 2 years old. Shes finally warming up to me and will come when her name is called and not hide when I pick her up. This is truly a heartbreaking decision but I need to do what's best for her. Ps...I'm located in central florida.

Vibes

South Florida
Thank you soooo much!
It will be harder to find a care taker because you'are trying to rehome a tortoise. DIRECTIONS: your going to see a question that says "Are you rehoming a dog, cat or other pet" select other pet, then a caption will pop up showing you the email, contact them using the email. This is the only way for you to rehome your tort using that website.

Vibes

South Florida
Hi...I'm looking for a good home for my sulcata tortoise. Would like to sale so I can purchase a smaller tort or will simply rehome to the right person. Long story short, boyfriends kids bought for me as a Christmas present last year not knowing how big they get and I dont have the means to keep her as she grows. I'm crying as I type this. I live in an apartment and she is outgrowing enclosures quickly and I have no idea when I'll be able to have a yard for her to be in. Her names Gertrude aka gerty. Shes about a year and 1/2 to 2 years old. Shes finally warming up to me and will come when her name is called and not hide when I pick her up. This is truly a heartbreaking decision but I need to do what's best for her. Ps...I'm located in central florida.
Another website that is good for rehoming is (https://www.tortoise.com/need-a-rescue.html) this is a foundation that specifys in rescuing torts.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
This is a great place to start. We have lots of Florida Members and can also help you screen for good homes.. I know it’s a hard decision and you are to be commended for doing what’s right for the tortoise!

Vibes

South Florida
This is a great place to start. We have lots of Florida Members and can also help you screen for good homes.. I know it’s a hard decision and you are to be commended for doing what’s right for the tortoise!
this off topic but i love your profile pic

ILoveMyTort82

Lakeland
I went to tortoise.com and they no longer assist in it. I figured I would start here and see if anyone is interested. This forum has been my go to for most of my questions. I had no idea what to do at first. Lol. I truly appreciate the help. I'm gonna try to make some phone calls tomorrow.

Vibes

South Florida
I went to tortoise.com and they no longer assist in it. I figured I would start here and see if anyone is interested. This forum has been my go to for most of my questions. I had no idea what to do at first. Lol. I truly appreciate the help. I'm gonna try to make some phone calls tomorrow.
wish you luck! sorry for misleading you with that link :(

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I read a post from a lady one time that was being forced into a senior living housing much earlier than expected. She had to rehome her sulcata because the plans that she had made for it were not available yet.. my heart was touched ... so I reached out to her just to talk and try to make her feel better. She interviewed several people over a period of months and just wasn’t comfortable with any of them... I ended up driving 4 hours ( not really that much) and getting her tortoise... I already had two of my own and certainly didn’t need him but now he’s just part of my family. We still keep in touch... not only did I gain a tortoise but a nice friend too. I’m not adopting anymore tortoises but my point is that someone will be just the right fit if you hold out for a good feeling...

Vibes

South Florida
I read a post from a lady one time that was being forced into a senior living housing much earlier than expected. She had to rehome her sulcata because the plans that she had made for it were not available yet.. my heart was touched ... so I reached out to her just to talk and try to make her feel better. She interviewed several people over a period of months and just wasn’t comfortable with any of them... I ended up driving 4 hours ( not really that much) and getting her tortoise... I already had two of my own and certainly didn’t need him but now he’s just part of my family. We still keep in touch... not only did I gain a tortoise but a nice friend too. I’m not adopting anymore tortoises but my point is that someone will be just the right fit if you hold out for a good feeling...
does she ever visit her old friend?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
does she ever visit her old friend?
I don’t think she could make that drive by herself... I really need to haul him down there but I don’t think he would appreciate it... He’s about 30lbs now

ILoveMyTort82

Lakeland
Good for you! And her. And your new baby. Lol. I know the right person will love her like I do. And I'll definitely do the research and make sure she goes to a good home. I've wanted a tortoise my entire but didnt know how attached I would be. I mean come on, shes finally letting me scratch her head instead of being an antisocial jerk. Lol.

Vibes

South Florida
I don’t think she could make that drive by herself... I really need to haul him down there but I don’t think he would appreciate it... He’s about 30lbs now
holy! my brother begged my dad for a sulcata, i said to my dad no they get way to big! but my brother got a red foot now he doesn't even batter an eye to him so im stuck taking care of his tort :/ and now i need to build another enclosure because i have been keeping them together and i read an article saying they need to separate them especially because they live in different environments, and they will stress each other out when he gets bigger (hes a yearling)

Vibes

South Florida
Good for you! And her. And your new baby. Lol. I know the right person will love her like I do. And I'll definitely do the research and make sure she goes to a good home. I've wanted a tortoise my entire but didnt know how attached I would be. I mean come on, shes finally letting me scratch her head instead of being an antisocial jerk. Lol.
but a smaller species i recommend is a Russian or any Mediterranean tort they dont grow to be big