(Need Urgent Help)UVB fluorescent light tube

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I received this in a private conversation, and I'm not the right one to be asked this question, so I'm turning it over to all you you.

@Tortoisebaby

TortoisebabyNew Member
I am getting a Russian tortoise for the first time this holiday and have done lots of research. However, I can’t seem to agree with the information on UVB lighting.

I was wondering if the Zoo med ReptiSun T8 24 inch terrarium hood with a Zoo med ReptiSun T8 5.0 UVB lamp placed 8 inches away from the tortoise on the Zoo med Tortoise House screen area is sufficient enough uvb/uva light for a young adult Russian tortoise(about 5 inches long). I read that the T8 5.0 uvb light tube can be safely placed 7-12 inches away from tortoise. With the setup I’m thinking about, there will be 4 inches of substrate and the tortoise will be on top of the substrate being about one inch tall on its stomach so therefore the ReptiSun t8 5.0 uvb tube can be safely placed seven inches away from the tortoise if the enclosure i get is 12 inches tall.

I read some information that tortoises need a uv index of 3(according to the Ferguson Zones) and for the light to be sunbeam method. Also I read that you should measure the amount of uvb rays with a solarmeter, but they cost $300 that I don’t have for that specifically. I didn’t really understand the Ferguson Zones and uv index.

If you could give me your input on the ReptiSun T8 24 inch terrarium hood with the ReptiSun T8 5.0 uvb 24 inch tube and if you think it will give my Russian tortoise enough uvb/uva light during these winter months in Tennessee, I would be so greatful.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That will probably give enough UVB for your tortoise in that set up. The only real way to know is to get the solar meter 6.5. I know it is expensive, but if you figure you have that tortoise for 2030 or 40 years or more then it’s pretty cheap overall. Tell people it’s what you want for Christmas :) maybe they’ll give you some gift cards or something.Then he will need a heat lamp also. Get yourself a temperature gun that will help you keep track of the temperatures all over the enclosure. I am familiar with that tortoise house and it is what I started my tortoise out with. Then I cooked two of them together,But it is way way too small. To make it work for now take out the little divider. Just give your tortoise to hide’s, one on each end of the enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The screen on that enclosure will block some of the uvb. Also, the screen will not hold in the needed heat and humidity. Be sure to take that in consideration and make adjustments. Read our care sheet. That light otherwise should work

cuc228

5 Year Member
Don't worry about it. If you follow the instructions and your tort get MBD, then you will get paid for tens of the price of your tort.

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
Don't worry about it. If you follow the instructions and your tort get MBD, then you will get paid for tens of the price of your tort.

Maybe that’s true,but money can’t replace the Love I’d have for my tortoise.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Welcome! While I can’t really answer your question very well, I believe you will find some great answers from other posters on this forum.

Just one word of advIce: that is too small for a Russian. Even though they’re a smaller species, we recommend a minimum of 8 feet by 4 feet long enclosures. They need the space to walk around and exercise, as I believe it helps with digestion. When placed in enclosures that are too small, they can become stressed, pace a lot around the sides, and won’t tend to do much as they know there’s not much to do.