Need verification of sexes and if Russian

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Alabama
20180301_103008.jpg 20180301_103016.jpg 20180301_102921.jpg 20180301_102929.jpg I received these 2 Russian tortoise free and have never owned a tortoise. I would just like to know if it is a male and a female and that they are both indeed Russian.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup, both Russian. And Yup, a male and a female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a male in with my females, however, it's not a pair, it's one male to three females. Also, they live outside in a fairly large, well-planted yard, so the females are able to get away from the male if they so desire.

I know you're working on an outdoor enclosure for them, and when that happens, you can keep them together. Just be sure to have several bushes (sight barriers) or other objects so the female isn't always in sight of the male. And several hiding places.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
They were housed together when given to me but I have built a divider to separate them. The one in the top 2 pics was relentlessly picking on the other.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
I agree with Yvonne.

They should not live together in the same enclosure.

Here is some care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

From your pics looks like you are using a red bulb, dry substrate and the water dish is not suitable. Hope we can help make things better for your tortoises.
Are you saying the red bulb is bad?
Dry substrate bad?
The bowl was a quick substitute due to the divider I had to build.

I appreciate the comments and your time
Thanks

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
I have a male in with my females, however, it's not a pair, it's one male to three females. Also, they live outside in a fairly large, well-planted yard, so the females are able to get away from the male if they so desire.

I know you're working on an outdoor enclosure for them, and when that happens, you can keep them together. Just be sure to have several bushes (sight barriers) or other objects so the female isn't always in sight of the male. And several hiding places.

Future tortoise enclosure any suggestions for changes appreciated.20180301_103156.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you saying the red bulb is bad?
Dry substrate bad?
The bowl was a quick substitute due to the divider I had to build.

I appreciate the comments and your time
Thanks

Yes. Colored bulbs should never be used over tortoises. Their color vision is better than ours, so making the world red, really messes with their heads. Should be white bulbs for day time and if you need night heat or more ambient heat, use a ceramic heating element. All heat, no light.

Most indoor enclosures are exceedingly dry. It contributes to dehydration and dehydration is a big time tortoise killer. Damp substrate will maintain some moderate humidity in the enclosure and slow the rate of dehydration. It will also allow them to dig in and creat a more humid microclimate, if they desire. I prefer to use fine grade orchid bark for adults, and I buy it in bulk at local garden centers. Probably won't find it at HD or Lowes.

Terra cotta plant saucers sunk in to the substrate work best for water. Regular soaks help too.