Need vet referral for indian star tortoise

xxx

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
Hi, my indian star has RI. Anyone has a vet to recommend in singapore?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know of no vets in Singapore, but I know that Ris are typically caused by low temps, and can often be cured with high temps.

Bump your ambient temps up to 85-90 24/7, and make sure your basking area directly under the bulb is 100. Soak every day with these warmer temps and make sure the soaking water stays warm for the whole time.

If you do find a vet, don't let them use injectable Baytril. Its caustic and it will burn your tortoise at the injection site. No "vitamin" injections either. Most vet don't know much about tortoises or tortoise care. They attempt to treat symptoms without first discovering and correcting the CAUSE of the sickness, which is usually a husbandry issue.

xxx

Singapore
I know of no vets in Singapore, but I know that Ris are typically caused by low temps, and can often be cured with high temps.

Bump your ambient temps up to 85-90 24/7, and make sure your basking area directly under the bulb is 100. Soak every day with these warmer temps and make sure the soaking water stays warm for the whole time.

If you do find a vet, don't let them use injectable Baytril. Its caustic and it will burn your tortoise at the injection site. No "vitamin" injections either. Most vet don't know much about tortoises or tortoise care. They attempt to treat symptoms without first discovering and correcting the CAUSE of the sickness, which is usually a husbandry issue.
Thanks for the advice. will give it a try. would you also be able to advise what is the ideal humidity range for indian star. i've been trying to research online but there seems to be conflicting info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice. will give it a try. would you also be able to advise what is the ideal humidity range for indian star. i've been trying to research online but there seems to be conflicting info.
They do best in monsoon conditions. Hot and humid. But they can survive dry conditions too. We had a member here that lived in India for two years. As he explained it the "dry" season had humidity between 60-80%, while the "wet" season typically had humidity from 80-100%.

The word "dry" means so many things to so many people. When I say its dry here in the SoCal desert, I'm talking single digit humidity. Its so dry that the skin on the back of your hand will get so dried out that it will crack and bleed. When someone from India where, G. elegans comes from, says "dry", they are talking about 60-80% humidity.

Also, stars like it hot. Minimum 80 at night, and I like it to creep into the 90s during the day, plus a basking area directly under the bulb that is 95-100.

Check this out for more car info;

xxx

Singapore
They do best in monsoon conditions. Hot and humid. But they can survive dry conditions too. We had a member here that lived in India for two years. As he explained it the "dry" season had humidity between 60-80%, while the "wet" season typically had humidity from 80-100%.

The word "dry" means so many things to so many people. When I say its dry here in the SoCal desert, I'm talking single digit humidity. Its so dry that the skin on the back of your hand will get so dried out that it will crack and bleed. When someone from India where, G. elegans comes from, says "dry", they are talking about 60-80% humidity.

Also, stars like it hot. Minimum 80 at night, and I like it to creep into the 90s during the day, plus a basking area directly under the bulb that is 95-100.

Check this out for more car info;
thanks for the advice. it's cold and very humid now in singapore as its rainy season. humidity levels are above 90 at the moment. have gotten a dehumidifier to bring down the humidity levels in the house and also up the temperature. am observing daily but seems to have work well so far. no more visible mucus around the nose or bubbles and eating well. thanks for the help

bennyap

Singapore
If you're still looking for a vet here in SG, I'd recommend our go-to vet Advanced VetCare Centre. Hope this helps!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you're still looking for a vet here in SG, I'd recommend our go-to vet Advanced VetCare Centre. Hope this helps!
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I just want to point out a detail for you....if you look at the top left of each post, it tells you when that post was written. So in this case, this thread was active in December of 2020. If you check that first, you'll save a lot of time and typing.

I would suspect that a vet was found by now! :D