Need Water ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Why do I keep reading so many things about "does my tort need water?'' "Should I have a water bowl in my enclosure?" "Does my tort absorb enough water through it's shell?" SMH! Where does this thinking come from???? My Sulcata (Darwin) drinks water EVERY day. I see him go to his water bowl, stretch out his neck, put his mouth in the water and I see him suck it in and swallow it down his throat! I'm no expert but if it's got a mouth, IT NEEDS WATER!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the olden days there were two schools of thought on water: 1. A tortoise gets all the water it needs from its food, and 2. Don't put a water dish in the habitat because it grows mold in the substrate and can harm your tortoise.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
emysemys said:
In the olden days there were two schools of thought on water: 1. A tortoise gets all the water it needs from its food, and 2. Don't put a water dish in the habitat because it grows mold in the substrate and can harm your tortoise.

Unfortunately those outdated books are still in print and sold at pet centers everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.