Need your HELP.

dwhite1105

Hi there.

My name is Dylan, I'm a 20 year old current student and a part time lifeguard. I'd firstly like to thank you for taking the time to read this post as it is rather long, so, THANK YOU for being a wonderful person and attempting to help out someone in need.

I've always loved pets, but unfortunately, my parents were not the same. I love all animals, and find exotic pets extremely fascinating due to their unique qualities. Don't get me wrong, I love common pets like Cats and Dogs, but there's something special about other pets like Hedgehogs.

I owned a Hedgehog, but he died after 8 years of loving care. I adored him even though he was trying to escape, much like an active hamster.

Anyways, I am very interested in purchasing a Sulcata tortoise. They're cute, and they grow big, just how I like it. I have done a-lot of research and have read up on lighting, heating, and feeding, but I do need some advice from you lovely people. Here are my issues, and any suggestions or help would be appreciated to alleviate my concerns.

Housing: Right now, I live in Northern Indiana with my Mother and father. As such, it does get extremely cold and therefore he cannot live outside in an outside environment and will have to be kept inside.

Of course, I will be supplementing his natural Calcium intake from the sun using various methods that I've read upon on here, that isn't the issue.

My issue is, while he will be small and can be kept inside with relative ease for around 3-4 years, when he gets bigger this will be a problem. I've read people buy sheds and other enclosures to house their tortoises. But as of right now, this isn't an option for me unless I were to purchase one.

This is fine. I am okay with purchasing a heated shed where he can live and be happy, my only question is about how much would this shed cost to purchase as well as heat during the 4-5 month "winter" time.

I plan on moving after I earn my degree in 2 years, but if I choose to stay in a rather cold climate, I need to know how much money I'm having to consider.

Feeding:

I have read pretty extensively on this subject because it is really important. From what I understand, summarized, you're supposed to feed them on a grassy diet, with some vegetables being okay, and to rarely give them fruit in order to prevent Pyrammiding of the shell. I understand this, and of course I'm more than willing to accommodate.

My only issue is really, other than natural grass in my backyard, I am not sure that any of these grasses/weeds grow naturally around my house even during the summer.

My question is: Is there any purchasable food source for these guys? I don't want to ever be short on their natural food, but being that they typically eat grassy foods, unless I grow them in abundance myself, I'll be short on supply.

My question really is, what is the most effective way of having enough food for your Sulcata on person? I always want to be on top of my game so I can ensure a healthy, natural food source for natural digestion.

Interaction with other animals:

I haven't really read a-lot on this, but I myself have two Toy Poodles who are quite young still (1-2). I was wondering exactly their interaction with other animals. I've read that you shouldn't ever leave them alone, and that's understandable, but if I do happen to have them out at the same time, are they naturally aggressive?

I hope you guys have some answers for me especially on the subject of food sources. THANK YOU!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dylan, and welcome to the Forum!

You'll have to do a web search for the cost of sheds, but once you have the shed, its up to you to add the insulation, etc. You have a few years to worry about this, and maybe you can do it a bit at a time. After you move out I'm sure your folks will find good use for the empty shed. You won't need a very big one. My two Aldabran tortoises live comfortably in a 8'x10', but they don't LIVE in there, they just stay in there when its cold. They come and go outside free will. I built my own shed because I felt it was cheaper.

Have you read through the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section?

You might think about putting your sulcata purchase off until you're on your own and living in a more or less permanent home. Get a Russian tortoise. He'll do fine indoors with appropriate UVB and they have the personality of a sulcata, plus, he'll stay small while you're living at your folks' house.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Hello!

On your question with not having edible weeds growing up in your neck of the woods: there are special seed mixes made to be planted just for tortoises! They contain all sorts of good stuff for sulcatas to eat [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] most companies' mixes will vary slightly. When you plant the mix, you can just section off a portion of your yard to plant it, like a Sulcata Patch lol. Just when you do plant it, make sure the soil you use is pesticide and fertilizer free.

As far as planting it for when your little guy is living inside: you can plant it in a tray and grow it indoors, then transfer "sod" into his enclosure [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] one suggestion- do grow it outside of his enclosure then transfer it in. I tried planting chia sprouts in my Sulcatas' enclosures and they kept mowing down the sprouts and would never let them grow hahaha.

Anyways, welcome, and good on ya for well preparing yourself ahead of time for your little one! You are gonna be a great tort parent! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

I forgot: you can get the seed mixes online at tortoisesupply.com, along with a few other sites.

Jenblalock003

Yvonne G said:

You'll have to do a web search for the cost of sheds, but once you have the shed, its up to you to add the insulation, etc. You have a few years to worry about this, and maybe you can do it a bit at a time. After you move out I'm sure your folks will find good use for the empty shed. You won't need a very big one. My two Aldabran tortoises live comfortably in a 8'x10', but they don't LIVE in there, they just stay in there when its cold. They come and go outside free will. I built my own shed because I felt it was cheaper.

Have you read through the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section?

You might think about putting your sulcata purchase off until you're on your own and living in a more or less permanent home. Get a Russian tortoise. He'll do fine indoors with appropriate UVB and they have the personality of a sulcata, plus, he'll stay small while you're living at your folks' house.

Hi Dylan

I just want to say this. I am a newbie as a sulcata owner. It wasn't exactly planned (was a present). But if I were you I would hold off. Don't get me wrong I LOVE them. But they are A LOT of work especially as babies and if you don't raise them the right way they could get sick etc not to mention it's kinda pricy to maintain their health. It def takes a lot of time, care, and money to raise one. Do your research now and when the time is right get one. But my opinion, I'd hold off.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Well you're prepared!
We have a 3-year old Sulcata just north of Detroit and he's still indoors all winter/cooler weather and every night. When small, worry about predators like rats, dogs, foxes/coyote. Being in northern Indiana, you have those latter even in the suburbs/big cities as we do, and yes, a tortoise smells like food. Goes for your dogs too, toy or not. Once your tort is bigger, watch out for the dog's safety...but you know all this.
Some tortoises are agressive; others aren't. Our Sulcata is extremely timid and it wasn't helped when our Lab-Rot broke into his room one day and went right for him. He was 100% fine...but the situation didn't help his timidity or his social-skills. Hoping he'll outgrow it as he grows larger.
Food: read it before and experienced it w/ our Sig, but sometimes baby torts don't take to dried grasses. In fact, Sig didn't take to fresh grasses either... We had a very weedy yard & the only thing he liked was the poisonous Euphorbia. Fortunately, our grocery store is always well stocked with dandelion, endive, and turnip, collard, and mustard greens. A lot of people rave about Mazuri, kinda' a compressed grass-pellet. One person here said her tort wouldn't touch them until she started dribbling some pineapple juice on them; we're going to do that with Sig.
Don't know whether you want a hatchling, but consider keeping an eye out for rescues. Craigslist always has one or two posted, and even here there is a forum for adoptions. You may end up with a pyramided-tort, but you seem like you'll provide whoever you get with a good home. We've taken on three young tortoises: 2 Hermanns who were 4 and 5 years old and a year-old Sulcata. Their age made their keep easier; we had a hatchling Leopard who just never did well. Despite veterinary care and proper housing, he died within a month of purchase. He was a ton-more work and now has me terrified of baby tortoises.
Sulcatas are big, do take a ton of work, but if you're committed, don't let the challenges and your life-circumstances off-put you from getting one. You're prepared for a Sulcata, it seems, knowing what to expect and asking for help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I would not keep a sulcata in a climate like that. Its just too much work, too much expense and just to impractical for my liking. Its hard enough to do it in a good climate where they just live outside all the time. Also, I was once in your shoes in college and living at home. My advice is to stick to animals that can comfortably live long term in tanks that you can move around by yourself. This would eliminate sulcatas. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it can't be done easy enough and cheap enough for my liking.

They are able to make the D3 they need with proper exposure to UVB lighting or sunshine. This is different, but related to, calcium intake. They cannot use calcium without D3, they cannot make D3 without enough UVB enough of the time.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry, not diet. I've seen many smooth tortoises raised on horrible diets, and I've seen many bumpy sulcatas raised on great diets. Humidity, hydration, shell spraying, and humid hides, will all help to prevent pyramiding.

Supervised interaction with other well behaved animals is fine. I have loose dogs around my tortoises every day, but NEVER unsupervised, and NEVER with a dog that is not under control. Your tortoise is at risk when its small, but your little dogs will be at risk when the tortoise gets big. Common sense will save the day.

Here is a feeding thread. Just understand that tortoises are creatures of habit. If your breeder did not start them on grass, then they likely won't eat it right away until they have had time to get used to it gradually. This can take months in some cases, but they will eventually eat it if you introduce it correctly. When they get bigger, grass hay will be your best friend. :)

Diet thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Tom, go back and read the first paragraph in your post. Have you ever done what you are saying is impractical and to expensive to do in a cold climate ? I have (and still do) and it is very doable, without breaking the bank. I say if Dylan wants to give it a try he should, instead of wishing years from now that he had. There is a growing number of sulcata keepers in cold climates that are members of this forum that I know will be willing to help with advice, and what they have learned from past experiences about do's and don'ts. It's 28 degrees out side now and with less than 400 watts Walkers 8x8 ft house is reading 87, 87, 89, from the 3 sensors inside. His door is always open for him to come out, and he does almost every day to eat and drink even if it is snowing.

dwhite1105

Barista5261 said:
Hello!

On your question with not having edible weeds growing up in your neck of the woods: there are special seed mixes made to be planted just for tortoises! They contain all sorts of good stuff for sulcatas to eat [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] most companies' mixes will vary slightly. When you plant the mix, you can just section off a portion of your yard to plant it, like a Sulcata Patch lol. Just when you do plant it, make sure the soil you use is pesticide and fertilizer free.

As far as planting it for when your little guy is living inside: you can plant it in a tray and grow it indoors, then transfer "sod" into his enclosure [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] one suggestion- do grow it outside of his enclosure then transfer it in. I tried planting chia sprouts in my Sulcatas' enclosures and they kept mowing down the sprouts and would never let them grow hahaha.

Anyways, welcome, and good on ya for well preparing yourself ahead of time for your little one! You are gonna be a great tort parent! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

I forgot: you can get the seed mixes online at tortoisesupply.com, along with a few other sites.

I am SO thankful for this reply in particular. I'm going to buy some of these seeds and begin my planting in advance before I get my little guy. That way I have adequate time to build up a decent foundation of food for him.

Are all these foods good for a Sulcata? I've read alot of information and alot have said that tortoise foods like those pellets aren't good for them. I'm probably going to stick to the old natural planting and growing for my tortoise, at least until he's older where I'll have to find a new solution.

THANKS SO MUCH!

dwhite1105

Jenblalock003 said:
Yvonne G said:

Hi Dylan

I just want to say this. I am a newbie as a sulcata owner. It wasn't exactly planned (was a present). But if I were you I would hold off. Don't get me wrong I LOVE them. But they are A LOT of work especially as babies and if you don't raise them the right way they could get sick etc not to mention it's kinda pricy to maintain their health. It def takes a lot of time, care, and money to raise one. Do your research now and when the time is right get one. But my opinion, I'd hold off.

Hi, and thank you for the response. I am indeed holding off until I am comfortable knowing that I can fully take care of the tortoise for the time being.

In 3-4 years I will have the money to accommodate accordingly. I would never give an animal a bad home.

dwhite1105

Laura Currado said:
Well you're prepared!
We have a 3-year old Sulcata just north of Detroit and he's still indoors all winter/cooler weather and every night. When small, worry about predators like rats, dogs, foxes/coyote. Being in northern Indiana, you have those latter even in the suburbs/big cities as we do, and yes, a tortoise smells like food. Goes for your dogs too, toy or not. Once your tort is bigger, watch out for the dog's safety...but you know all this.
Some tortoises are agressive; others aren't. Our Sulcata is extremely timid and it wasn't helped when our Lab-Rot broke into his room one day and went right for him. He was 100% fine...but the situation didn't help his timidity or his social-skills. Hoping he'll outgrow it as he grows larger.
Food: read it before and experienced it w/ our Sig, but sometimes baby torts don't take to dried grasses. In fact, Sig didn't take to fresh grasses either... We had a very weedy yard & the only thing he liked was the poisonous Euphorbia. Fortunately, our grocery store is always well stocked with dandelion, endive, and turnip, collard, and mustard greens. A lot of people rave about Mazuri, kinda' a compressed grass-pellet. One person here said her tort wouldn't touch them until she started dribbling some pineapple juice on them; we're going to do that with Sig.
Don't know whether you want a hatchling, but consider keeping an eye out for rescues. Craigslist always has one or two posted, and even here there is a forum for adoptions. You may end up with a pyramided-tort, but you seem like you'll provide whoever you get with a good home. We've taken on three young tortoises: 2 Hermanns who were 4 and 5 years old and a year-old Sulcata. Their age made their keep easier; we had a hatchling Leopard who just never did well. Despite veterinary care and proper housing, he died within a month of purchase. He was a ton-more work and now has me terrified of baby tortoises.
Sulcatas are big, do take a ton of work, but if you're committed, don't let the challenges and your life-circumstances off-put you from getting one. You're prepared for a Sulcata, it seems, knowing what to expect and asking for help.

I loved this little story, and I'm sorry to hear about your baby. I sure hope that doesn't happen to me. I would be devastated if my little guy died early!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Len said:
Tom, go back and read the first paragraph in your post. Have you ever done what you are saying is impractical and to expensive to do in a cold climate ? I have (and still do) and it is very doable, without breaking the bank. I say if Dylan wants to give it a try he should, instead of wishing years from now that he had. There is a growing number of sulcata keepers in cold climates that are members of this forum that I know will be willing to help with advice, and what they have learned from past experiences about do's and don'ts. It's 28 degrees out side now and with less than 400 watts Walkers 8x8 ft house is reading 87, 87, 89, from the 3 sensors inside. His door is always open for him to come out, and he does almost every day to eat and drink even if it is snowing.

Okay. I did. I stand by it 100%. I have not and would not. Given it a lot of thought though. Len, you are not the norm. I don't know of anyone who builds their houses as well as yours. I'm not condemning anyone who chooses to do this, I'm just saying that I would not do this. If you don't find it impractical and you wish to spend the money to run 400 watts of power all the time in a frozen climate, more power to ya'. But its not for me. And don't forget that my advice was not for an established grown man who owns his own home and knows how to build stuff. It was for a kid still living with his parents. Something I still remember doing myself.

argus333

5 Year Member
Ya look into a Russian or possible leopard, but they still need some big space. I keep mine out all yr. but as stated I own a house and have a good sized yard. I have heated shed and lg greenhouse. I kinda like keeping them in a cold climate it's a challange and fun to go in greenhouse everyday. Mine eat mostly hay I buy at a feed store for $8 a bale last 2 months. And some greens a mazuri.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
dwhite1105 said:
I am SO thankful for this reply in particular. I'm going to buy some of these seeds and begin my planting in advance before I get my little guy. That way I have adequate time to build up a decent foundation of food for him.

Are all these foods good for a Sulcata? I've read alot of information and alot have said that tortoise foods like those pellets aren't good for them. I'm probably going to stick to the old natural planting and growing for my tortoise, at least until he's older where I'll have to find a new solution.

THANKS SO MUCH!

You are very welcome [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Pellet foods for Sulcatas:

Mazuri -- my Sulcatas think this is TORTOISE CRACK. I give it to them once a week and mix it in with their other greens, and they INHALE IT.

Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food: also very good [THUMBS UP SIGN]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391539447.211659.jpg

The Tortoise Table website is VERY good for seeing if a plant or flower is tortoise friendly [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I think the URL is tortoisetable.co.uk or something very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwhite1105

Tom said:
Len said:

Okay. I did. I stand by it 100%. I have not and would not. Given it a lot of thought though. Len, you are not the norm. I don't know of anyone who builds their houses as well as yours. I'm not condemning anyone who chooses to do this, I'm just saying that I would not do this. If you don't find it impractical and you wish to spend the money to run 400 watts of power all the time in a frozen climate, more power to ya'. But its not for me. And don't forget that my advice was not for an established grown man who owns his own home and knows how to build stuff. It was for a kid still living with his parents. Something I still remember doing myself.

While I respect your advice I would prefer you didn't refer to me as "kid". While you may have your opinions on what dictates that pronoun, I myself don't find that I am one.

I'm 20 years old and live with my parents, true. But I am a very responsible and grown adult. I work 30 hours a week and am a full time student. I'm responsible, and loving with my animals and I do not treat them with any less than they deserve, and that's the best.

I live with my parents for financial reasons, and personal reasons. Living with your parents doesn't indicate a level of maturity but a state of life. I live with my parents because I have loans to pay off and I love them with all my heart. I don't think this really reflects my capabilities financially or responsibly.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Hey Dylan,
I totally respect your decision to wait on your Sulcata purchase. I'm located in Montana where it's below freezing for at least 5 months/yr. From April- September weather permitting all my Sulcatas and Russians go into their outdoor separate enclosures. During the winter months they have a large enclosure 8x20 in my man cave.

What I'm getting at is that it's completely doable in the upper states but to keep an adult safe and comfortable one needs space and lots of it.

I also agree that a Russian is a fantastic first timer. With incredible personalities. My first tort was a Russian I still have her and true be told she is one of my favorite pets of all time. Good luck friend and welcome to TFO.

I should clarify that my Russians and Sulcatas are never in the same enclosure. The Russians have their own 4x8 enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391552736.559682.jpg
what you have to look forward to when your ready
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391552536.743377.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: