need your opinions (sulcata hatchling enclosure)

blurp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manila Philippines
Guys what do you think of my indoor tortoise enclosure? Feel free to comment you opinions and suggestion.thanks! btw i'm living in a tropical country Philippines.:)

50 gal tank
reptisun 5.0 UVB
25w incandescent light bulb
cocopeat or coco coir substrate
Habbu hut XL for his hide
no water dish becuase i soak him 2 times a day
I use vionate and osteoform sa for multivitamins and calcium( 2 times a week)
mazuri(once a week)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409648489.606103.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409648508.312484.jpg

1.0 "ponkan" sulcata tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Water dish still should be given. Also, the coil bulb you are using has been known to cause eye problems. I would not use it. Even if it's a normal bulb that are used for house lamps, it's been known to cause problems in humans and you are having to have it too close to not cause problems if it were going to. Switch it out for a normal bulb and it will help give some heat too. If you haven't yet, read Toms threads below in my post. Great for raising sulcatas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Blurp. Here are my tips for improvement:
1. Get a terra cotta saucer and sink it into the substrate for water. They need a water source. This will also help keep your substrate damp. Clean it as needed. If its gets messy too often, that is an indication that your tank is too small.
2. Only soak once a day. That is plenty. Especially in your climate.
3. Make that substrate MUCH thicker. Quadruple that amount. Hand pack it as you go.
4. Lose the coil bulb right away. Use the sun in a proper safe outdoor enclosure to meet your UV needs. An hour three or four times a week is all that is needed.
5. What are your four temps? If the 25 watt bulb maintains the correct temperatures, then its great. Adjust if needed.
6. What are you doing for night heat. Cold and damp is bad. Light all night is bad. I use a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain ambient day and night.
7. That log is okay, but he should also have a humid hide on the damp substrate. Something that is all closed in except for a door hole. I use black dish washing tubs turned upside down with a door hole cut out.
8. Your tank size is okay for now, but he will outgrow that in 2 or three months.

Here are some threads to illuminate these points and more:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!! We have a calendar contest and members send in their pictures hoping for a spot on the calendar. Your picture would be great for the contest. You could title it "Sulcata Face Sandwich"

Rules and how to enter are being worked up right now and will be posted soon.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi there. I'm very sorry I can't be of much help here. I have had a tort for a couple of years and don't have that much knowledge as far as your issue is concerned. Moreover I recently joined the for forum. Good luck.