Neener, neener - I've Received My 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar!!!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Well, not to blow my own horn, but last year I mailed them. . . this year someone else did.

***ooo, ugh, ouch!! I got a cramp in my arm from patting myself on the back!!***
He did it a lot cheaper than you did. He sent them first class rather than using flat rate envelopes. It only cost $2.66 for the postage.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
And what type of tortoise it is.
I think that would be very useful for some purchasers.
I wish it was printed on the calendar below the picture.

I was also hoping they would consider last year's suggestion to put the collage on the cover rather than in December, although I really like the cover picture, Kristoff's with the butterfly.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

I was also hoping they would consider last year's suggestion to put the collage on the cover rather than in December, although I really like the cover picture, Kristoff's with the butterfly.
Lena got the cover?
I'm glad I didn't.
What month did Tidgy get? And Charlie?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lena got the cover?
I'm glad I didn't.
What month did Tidgy get? And Charlie?
Yeah, once the cover is turned over to January, you never see it again. I like the idea of having the collage on the cover. I wonder why he didn't do it that way. Maybe we forgot to tell him. I'll make a note of it for next year's calendar.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

Oh, is my boy on the cover? I might as well never open the calendar then! :D How exciting. :)
I haven’t received mine yet.
@Yvonne G, could we maybe have a list of the tortoise species and their owners/moms/dads in a thread somewhere? I’d be happy to scribble that info under the pictures... Better than nothing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, is my boy on the cover? I might as well never open the calendar then! :D How exciting. :)
I haven’t received mine yet.
@Yvonne G, could we maybe have a list of the tortoise species and their owners/moms/dads in a thread somewhere? I’d be happy to scribble that info under the pictures... Better than nothing.
I'll see what I can do later today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've listed them in the order of how many votes they received, showing the most votes as the first, etc. I wasn't sure of the species on Kristoff's, and I have a question mark next to it. If I've made a mistake on any of them please let me know and I'll correct it:

PJay (box turtle) October

Big Charlie (sulcata) September

Jes_Janelle (RF) May

Turtulas-Len (Sulcata) August

MPRC (RF) November

Kristoff (Greek) Cover

Tidgy's Dad (Greek) February

LeoTheTortoise (Greek) January

theguy67 (RF) June

Team Gomberg (Leopard) July

Marianne M (RF) March

whisper (RF) April

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I remembered as I was researching this, that year before last or maybe even before, there was a stink from a winner wanting to know why their picture wasn't on the cover. They thought the winner should get the cover. Most of us had the thought that you never see the cover once you've turned to January and that having a month was nicer because you see that picture for a whole month. I don't know if Josh had a reason for putting Kristoff's picture on the cover, but I agree that it would be nice to see the collage on the cover instead of on a month. If you all agree, I'll propose that for next year.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I've listed them in the order of how many votes they received, showing the most votes as the first, etc. I wasn't sure of the species on Kristoff's, and I have a question mark next to it. If I've made a mistake on any of them please let me know and I'll correct it:

PJay (box turtle) October

Big Charlie (sulcata) September

Jes_Janelle (RF) May

Turtulas-Len (Sulcata) August

MPRC (RF) November

Kristoff (Greek?) Cover

Tidgy's Dad (Greek) February

LeoTheTortoise (Greek) January

theguy67 (RF) June

Team Gomberg (Leopard) July

Marianne M (RF) March

whisper (RF) April

Kristoff is Greek, Testudo graeca ibera.

I have no problem with being anywhere in the calendar but I do understand the logic behind putting a lead picture up front — one good image on the cover makes the overall design look stronger. I’ll back up any decision we take as a group though. ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I remembered as I was researching this, that year before last or maybe even before, there was a stink from a winner wanting to know why their picture wasn't on the cover. They thought the winner should get the cover. Most of us had the thought that you never see the cover once you've turned to January and that having a month was nicer because you see that picture for a whole month. I don't know if Josh had a reason for putting Kristoff's picture on the cover, but I agree that it would be nice to see the collage on the cover instead of on a month. If you all agree, I'll propose that for next year.
Yes, it's difficult.
I would rather have a month for Tidgy rather than the cover, but on the other hand, the cover should probably have a lovely photo on it to help sell the calendar, not sure a collage is a s impressive.
I don't mind, in the end, I suppose.
I asked Tidgy and seems seems most unconcerned.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yes, it's difficult.
I would rather have a month for Tidgy rather than the cover, but on the other hand, the cover should probably have a lovely photo on it to help sell the calendar, not sure a collage is a s impressive.
I don't mind, in the end, I suppose.
I asked Tidgy and seems seems most unconcerned.
I don't think the cover helps sell calendars since they were all sold on the forum sight unseen.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Dang! Really? I'll have to keep that in mind for if I ever do it again.
He bought the postage at the post office without tracking. If you purchase the postage online and print your own labels, for the same price, you get free tracking. You can purchase postage easily through paypal. I can help you next year if you want. Postage is going up.