Nefti the Oiled Tortoise - BEFORE and AFTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baku Steve

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Here's some pics of poor Nefti as we found him before the de-oiling, and also a pic of a typical Soviet era oil well in Nefti's habitat.

And then a couple of pics of him all cleaned up.

You can see the damage on his shell in the AFTER photos

Steve
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0180.jpg
DSC_0184.jpg
DSC_0187.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
He looks good. The shell should heal well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its hard to tell from the picture, but I don't think you have anything to worry about with the crack in the shell. It doesn't look like it goes deep into the flesh. If you notice flies hanging around it, then you know I'm wrong in my assessment.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Good job! So glad you came upon him.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Ahh that is so pitiful and sad that they leave those oil wells like that to soak into the Earth. Thats a very lucky tort that you came along and cared enough to clean him up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Steve, your cleanup is impressive. That is one lucky tort and your one special guy for caring for him.

wizzasmum said:
I recently took on two tortoises that had been regularly oiled for many years by their previous owners. It's proving a formidable task to remove it. The shells have become brittle and prone to cracking along the edges and one will need reconstructive work at the vets eventually. if only they had been left alone they would have been beautiful tortoises now.

I don't want to hijack Steve's thread, so can I ask a really big favor of you? I would love to hear (and see) more of this case. Would you be generous with us and create another thread about the two your working with? Please. Like I would like to know why did they get regularly oiled? What kind of oil?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great job getting all the crud off him. That is REALLY cool of you to have rescued him!
Patsy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
What a lucky tort to have fallen into your caring hands. What a great job cleaning him up.
Thanks for sharing his story and pics with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.