Neighbors and YOUR torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So today while Bigred was laying her eggs I was being very quiet in my backyard. All of a sudden I hear my neighbors that live next to the people that live in back of me talking about how that guy has turtles. They were also saying something about jumping a gate, thats when I stood up and gave them a look. I think they said Oh hes eyeballing the people that are taliking about his turtles and they kind of laughed. Needless to say I didnt like what I heard and It was hard to hear what they were saying. I dont know and have never met these people And I dont know how they know I have torts. I think they have a pretty clear view from there backyard. The only reason Im posting this is to remind everyone especially the NEW PEOPLE that its not a good idea to let people know your have tortoises. People will steal them, it happens all the time. Also kids are out of school around here and that is also something to think about. I really hope these people dont make the old me come out to play

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
This is why I have dogs, bulls, and cameras. Haha but in all seriousness tortoises get stolen all the time, its sad.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
My dad, when I was younger always told me to keep them a secret and to only show my close friends them. We had built a large BMX track on the other side of our fence so we always had kids near the fence and close to the torts. Now I know why he made it a big deal. We did have someone steal my pet rabbit out of his little hutch, broke the lock and everything. Luckily the tortoises were inside at the time. People are cruel

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
I live in a bad neighborhood in Phoenix and we have some "bad seeds" that live across the street but they won't even try to come in my yard because of our large pit bull!
She is a great deterrent to the delinquents in the area.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps you should sit in your back yard and talk about the old you, really loudly, so they will get to know their neighbor..... :p:p

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Perhaps you should sit in your back yard and talk about the old you, really loudly, so they will get to know their neighbor..... :p:p

Were moving in August and I think they were joking around but who knows.Its a pretty good neighborhood and were moving to a little lss of a good neighborhood. They didnt know I was listening because I was on my knees waiting on Bigred to lay. Its just so easy for some dumb kid or adult idiot to jump the fence for 1 minute and do whatever they want. Hopefully nothing will happen from now to August

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yeah I dont let my neighbors know what I have but some of them find out on their own when I get out of the car with a big o'l tortoise lol. So they come trolling over and asking questions about it and always have to ask "how much is it worth?" and I always say its a desert tortoise they are illegal to sell and are strictly pets. I'm not worried about my neighbors but maybe they know people that would be interested in stealing something like that.

TheValve

5 Year Member
I'm lucky enough to have a walled garden, I have some less then desirable neighbours but have a massive padlock on the gate and two dogs. I have tried to keep my torts a secret but have had to stop my wife inviting every man and his dog to come visit them. I hope your neighbours are all talk and no action.

kbirt27

5 Year Member
Frightening! Hate to think of having someone take a pet. Seems so cruel. I hadn't thought of that as a danger before.

Thanks for the heads up! I will have to start being more protective.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your other enemy is facebook. Especially if your privacy settings are very relaxed.

You post pictures of your tort with "friends of friends" or "public", one of your friends likes the photo or comments on it and suddenly all their friends know that you have a tortoise because it appears on your friend's wall.

Do you know everyone that your friend knows? Can you trust all of them?

Can they work out where you live from the pictures on your profile and things you've written about yourself?

Do you announce to put something on your wall when you're going somewhere? (Out for a meal, on holiday, round your Mom's... just not at home)

You could be advertising when you are out and that you have something that someone wants to steal.

Think very hard about this and then go double-check your privacy settings. This document is a step by step guide to help teachers get them right, but it's good for anyone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nothing beats cleaning a gun in the backyard and muttering "I am not afraid to go back to prison"
Also works with fathers who have teenage daughters.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Even though my redfoots are still indoors, I really appreciate the fact that we have a 6 foot privacy fence in our smallish back yard. We live in an ok area, but we're like a street down from a less than ok area and sometimes teenagers/dbags will cause trouble on their way through (not too much, but our fence was grafitti'd and my dads window shattered. Of course, these are the only major incidents over 20 years of residence... so take that as you will).

I'm pretty careful not to go blasting the fact that I have torts and turtles. All my Facebook stuff is friends only and I keep my list fairly well groomed.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
dmmj said:
Nothing beats cleaning a gun in the backyard and muttering "I am not afraid to go back to prison"

The captain has it pegged here, well done sir ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mine are all within fences and everybody knows we have dogs... and like their owner they are not friendly nice dogs. That being said, the two larger sulcatas live outside of the current major fencing. The folks in the neighborhood know of them and often come to visit them. Keep in mind, I live in a village of about 50 people, believe me they know everything without having to be told. :D It doesn't worry me normally, but we are bit by bit getting a security fence around the back forty too.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I dont trust people at all. Ive seen so many stories, even here on the forum of neighborhood kids and nobody seems to care or has the respect now days to keep their nose out of peoples personal interest or private property. I am glad mine are out in the middle of nowehere, dogs that are not too friendly of strangers, and cameras, as well as a rod iron un jumpable fence around the property. I hope nothing happens between now and august for you.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
JoesMum said:
Your other enemy is facebook. Especially if your privacy settings are very relaxed.

You post pictures of your tort with "friends of friends" or "public", one of your friends likes the photo or comments on it and suddenly all their friends know that you have a tortoise because it appears on your friend's wall.

Do you know everyone that your friend knows? Can you trust all of them?

Can they work out where you live from the pictures on your profile and things you've written about yourself?

Do you announce to put something on your wall when you're going somewhere? (Out for a meal, on holiday, round your Mom's... just not at home)

You could be advertising when you are out and that you have something that someone wants to steal.

Think very hard about this and then go double-check your privacy settings. This document is a step by step guide to help teachers get them right, but it's good for anyone.

Thank you very much for the info

dmmj said:

Ya I already thought about the gun thing, It didnt help things at all today when my friend told me 5 rare tortoises were stolen in Fullerton. I thought he was joking but he wasnt.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
Yeah I dont let my neighbors know what I have but some of them find out on their own when I get out of the car with a big o'l tortoise lol. So they come trolling over and asking questions about it and always have to ask "how much is it worth?" and I always say its a desert tortoise they are illegal to sell and are strictly pets. I'm not worried about my neighbors but maybe they know people that would be interested in stealing something like that.

Im going to start doing the same thing

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When I've been asked the "Is he valuable" question. I start by saying Joe's been microchipped so we can find him easily. People seem to assume it's some sort of GPS tracking chip and I don't correct them!

I also comment that as Joe is a CITES species, he can't be sold without paperwork and then tell them that Joe predates CITES listing and doesn't have paperwork, so he can't be sold.

Gun law is rather different in the UK :D

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
bigred said:
Im going to start doing the same thing

That's actually a pretty good idea. Hell, if you really want to discourage them, tell them that since they're exotic animals they require a permit, and anyone caught in possession of one is subject to hefty fines. They probably wouldn't try to disprove you.

Status
Not open for further replies.