Nervousness! Am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseNoHare

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Does anyone else get really worried about their tortoise?!

He doesnt show any signs of illness or anything, but im so worried im doing something wrong and he'll grow up and pyramid and get sick! I dont know why.

Just need some comforting words that it was nerve wracking with your first tortoise as well :)

Thanks guys

<3 ally and lenny

Attachments

• 564841_10151399680493474_142813497_n.jpg
    564841_10151399680493474_142813497_n.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 90

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Yes, it is scary at first and then you learn as you go and get into a routine and see success from what you are able to provide these amazing creatures and it gets less worrisome. You are not alone:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you're not the Lone Ranger. Most first time tortoise keepers are terribly worried about their new tortoises. Just relax and enjoy the ride!

TortoiseNoHare

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, OH
I swear i'm on the forum more than anything! Im even on at it at work reading about everything I possibly can!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Oh don't feel alone. I am forever worried about Cooper to the point I almost,or do throw up, which is easy for me since I have Lupus I throw up a lot anyways, which isn't the norm, but that's the only thing the doctors can blame it on. Since Ophelia is 9 she seems to always be healthy ever since we got rid of her worms/parasites. I'm glad cause I can't handle anymore worries! And your little one looks just great to me! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your not alone, there's lots of us that worry. Don't forget, you got this forum to help you with any question and concern you have:) Also, don't forget to relax and enjoy your tort.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Just one more thing I wanted to add, if you haven't found a real good exotic/tort vet, I would at least find one just in case you need them. I got real lucky and have one for Cooper and Ophelia that are on call 24/7, and they r good. Just something to think about.

TortoiseNoHare

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, OH
My dog goes to the Banfield pet hospital/vet (which is in all petsmarts) and I read on their website that they also do exotics and reptiles. I also found a couple others in the area. I'll be taking him in soon just for a checkup. I got him for christmas and the breeder told me boyfriend he was about a year old, I recently found out he is 3-4 months though! So i got worried that I possibly wasnt doing all the right things a 3 month old needs.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I worry too! He is so little.Your not alone.I can't wait for him to mature so I don't have to worry.I am sure someday I will look back & wish he was small again.

ulkal

5 Year Member
I know exactly what you mean, being a new tortoise owner, too.
Like, sometimes going nuts googling if I forgot something, interrupted by checking on the torts!
He looks great. We will do fine and figure it out..kindof ;)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
After more than 4 months I think it's getting easier. I used to be thinking about it at work, not being able to wait to get home and check on it. And I work at night so I knew it was asleep.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I was very nervous. Mostly about the lights, rather than the care. I've always been paranoid about fire risks, so the lights still concern me now but I am, slowly, learning to trust them more.

Back when I first got Emrys I worked in an office, and was thinking about him constantly. For the first few days I was worried he'd flip himself over, and when I realised he wasn't that kind of tortoise the fire panic set in once again. I'd hear a siren and think it was going to my house.

People at work were asking about him, and that coupled with my paranoia led me to set up 'Tortoisecam'. Then, I got to watch him from the office, checking up on him during my lunch break. That just made me even worse, because I worried I'd see him in danger and be across the other side of town with an hour's walk back. Tortoisecam was quickly shut down. Now, I run my own business and can be with him almost all the time.

I've never been too worried about pyramiding, because I knew if I kept him in the right environment I could keep that under control. HOWEVER, he had pyramiding when I got him. I'd probably have been much worse bringing a healthy, smooth tortoise into my life.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
A couple weeks ago I was a mess! I had just introduced a humidifier to my little guys tank and he was being CRAZY! He kept climbing things and flipping himself over, I couldn't go to work or even out to eat without worrying about him! I am so glad he's used to it now and is back to his normal routine.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think worring shows how much you love him. I feel the same way about mine. They are like our children. :)
Its normal.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
TortoiseNoHare said:
I swear i'm on the forum more than anything! Im even on at it at work reading about everything I possibly can!

I hear ya - I'm the same way! It's addicting for us tort and turtle lovers!

You definitely are not alone. I've only had my lil Russian a couple months, but after my daughter, she is the next best thing I look forward to seeing when I get home from work every day! When we brought her home, no amount of $$ mattered, I just wanted to make everything perfect for her. Hundreds of dollars later I think everything's nearly perfect <sigh> finally!

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Yes! I'm a nervous wreck! I'm so scared I'm doing something wrong. I've done all the things I'm supposed to but still feel like it's not enough. Just got our first torti this past weekend. Was so scared cause he wasn't eating. Now, he's eating like a pig.

You're not alone!

critters88

5 Year Member
I dont even have mine yet and Im a nervous wreak, and it starts with the shipping will he be to cold, what if they get upside down. Then it will be am I feeding them right are the temps right is the humidity to low. Is his soaking water the right temp. After I get them I will more then likely get kicked out of here driving everyone nuts. I have the money now so contacted the breeder today to get some pics of what he has available, going to work on the habitat this weekend and get everything right in there for a couple days and start planting some food dandelion greens and some grasses and going to order some broad leaf seed mix from tortoise supply. Then after I have them for awhile and get to know them then I have to name them. Then summer will be here and I have to think of something so they can go outside. Then in august I go on vacation and my friend or my son will take care of them then I will worry more. Thank god Im home all day so I can peek and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.