Nesting? or playing?!

Carlos-NL

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands

Hi all,

I am new to tortoises so I am not sure about this behavior. She is 8 years old, but she has never been with a male. I am not sure if this is a playful behavior under the basking spot, or is she trying to find a good spot for laying eggs?

What do you think she is doing? Please share your experience!

Best regards,
Carlos

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Hi all,

I am new to tortoises so I am not sure about this behavior. She is 8 years old, but she has never been with a male. I am not sure if this is a playful behavior under the basking spot, or is she trying to find a good spot for laying eggs?

What do you think she is doing? Please share your experience!

Best regards,
Carlos
Looks more like straining to go to the bathroom to me. Your tortoise does not even look big enough to be laying eggs imo. Are you sure about the age?

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
Looks more like straining to go to the bathroom to me. Your tortoise does not even look big enough to be laying eggs imo. Are you sure about the age?
I am sure about the age and she is about 8-9 inches long, but I am not sure what behavior this is as she did that many times today :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Without being able to see in real time I'm going out on a limb and saying this is a young male who has just discovered his penis.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Without being able to see in real time I'm going out on a limb and saying this is a young male who has just discovered his penis.
I had this thought too.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Hard to say from the video but the notion that's its a young male is viable. Males often scratch their plastrons like seen in the video. What made you say it was a female?

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
Hard to say from the video but the notion that's its a young male is viable. Males often scratch their plastrons like seen in the video. What made you say it was a female?

What do you think of these pics is it she or he?

Attachments

• B5EEE66B-AA21-44FE-8F10-812BA77A311D.jpeg
    B5EEE66B-AA21-44FE-8F10-812BA77A311D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • BC32CE51-2FD9-4957-BE04-EEC8B467EF0F.jpeg
    BC32CE51-2FD9-4957-BE04-EEC8B467EF0F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
It’s not nesting. I agree - might be a male. Or it could have an irritation that it’s itching.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Can't believe anybody thinks that's a boy! Not only small tail but flat bottom as well?. Certainly looks like my girls.