Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I thought this was VERY interesting, as I've never gotten in "on the ground floor" so to speak.

I went out this a.m. to open my gate so I could drive to the store, and I saw Fat Betty with her head down in a hole. She had dug and pushed dirt up all around her and it was about as deep as she is tall. As I stood there and watched, she came out, turned around and started digging with her back feet. I never knew that they started out going in head-first.

FatBetty-1.jpg

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love when you take pictures and share your stories with us Yvonne. I get to see the whole outside area of your home. I wish I was that good at posting pictures then you would see a lot more of Dale. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was a false alarm. She has abandoned the nest. I think its a little too dry, as the dirt was very "fluffy" and wouldn't hold its shape. I've got the sprinkler going out there now so maybe tomorrow she can nest for sure.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Even a false alarm that is pretty cool. I'm sure she will find just the right place to lay. Congrats on the upcoming eggs Yvonne. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Some of my females scrape a spot first with their front legs too Yvonne :D Hopefully she's laid today. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, nothing further. She started 4 different nests and abandoned all of them. These last few days I've been pretty busy starting demolition on the Manouria houses. I'm going to build them a shed. So if she has nested for real, I've missed it and don't know where the nest is.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.