Never Underestimate the Power of Warm Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I was worried about Taco, since the d*%# weather has not been sunny enough or warm enough to put her out in her pen or even the sunporch, and I knew she was pretty constipated. It's been at least a week since I saw her poop. :(

So I followed the advice of someone here (Roachman?) on a recent thread and put about an inch of quite warm water into our bath tub (I test it with my wrist just like I did for babies), turned on the space heater so the air was also nice and warm, carried my baby gently upstairs and set her in it. Then I shut the door and gave her privacy for about 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

When I came back in, well let's just say I was surprised at how much poo my little Princess Pinto Bean could actually stow in that little body of hers! Took me several large paper towels to remove the load before scrubbing the tub. :p

It's so nice to know she is emptied and comfortable. Now maybe her appetite will improve! ;)

DSC00175.jpg

I feel so much better now!

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Geez, call me anal, but I am not keen on any animal pooping in the same space where I bathe my body...

Why not use a plastic tub/container of some sort!

Just curious...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Awww Stephanie, I am so glad that your Taco is now feeling more comfortable, you are such a good mom :D I am sure Taco took it as ''a day at the spa'' :cool:

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i keep trying with my dozer but no present yet! im glad your baby feels relieved!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I would use my tub If i didn't sit in it. Since I have two bathrooms and one with a bath tub that isnt used...why not use it.

also

I have washed my son with the shower head in there so much when he was potty training, there is no way a little turtle could compare.

Now I am not step, bu I think she did what was best for the health or her tortoise. Thats what its all about right

siwash said:
Geez, call me anal, but I am not keen on any animal ******** in the same space where I bathe my body...

Just curious...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
siwash said:
Geez, call me anal, but I am not keen on any animal ******** in the same space where I bathe my body...
Just curious...

Well, we only have one tub in our house (four bathrooms, two showers and one tub---go figure...). :p

I usually use a large tupperware for Taco's jacuzzi treatments, but these were not producing the laxative effect I was seeking. :cool:

I have raised five babies, and yes, they sh#* in the tub many times! Nothing a little Clorox and elbow grease can't sanitize. ;)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Stephanie Logan said:
I have raised five babies, and yes, they sh#* in the tub many times! Nothing a little Clorox and elbow grease can't sanitize. ;)

I'm with you. Whatever it takes to get the job done. Plus I'm sure I bathed with one of my own floaters a time or two as a tike and I'm still living.

Jessica

5 Year Member
Yeah :D Its weird because still some people in Finland do that like once a week (ore more often!) to their tortoises... It's one of our outdated care-instructions, and all tortoiseowners are still not aware of the new instructions. Still some petshops here in Finland give new owners the advice to do that to their tortoises at least once in a week...and that's too much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
siwash said:
Geez, call me anal, but I am not keen on any animal pooping in the same space where I bathe my body...

Just curious...

The original idea of putting a tortoise in the bath tub to soak was because the tub is so much bigger than a plastic bin and the tortoise would walk around, getting exercise while soaking. Walking plus warm water = POO!!

(I edited the S word out of your post - family forum and all that!)

M

Maggie Cummings

Why am I the only one who thought this was a scream.. in a thread about poop....".Geez, call me anal"
nobody but me get that play on words?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Went right over my head...but now you mention it, pretty funny!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
maggie3fan said:
Why am I the only one who thought this was a scream.. in a thread about poop....".Geez, call me anal"
nobody but me get that play on words?

Oh!...yeah. I get it now! :rolleyes:

Good catch, Maggie! :p

And yes, Yvonne, the idea was to get her warm and walking! ;)

kimmikins

5 Year Member
When i bath my little leo i have a tupperware tub with 2 compartments. One side i make slightly warmer.. when he sits in the first one he will drink a bit then poop.. i then move him into the other side for the remainder of his bath and because it was the warmer side its still nice and toasty for him xx

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oooh, the Deluxe Duo Lavatory and Sterile Soaking Chamber! Where did you buy yours? ;)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
My little guy is to little for the tub, but i ran hot water inside the tub and put a long tub inside it, the outside water was the insulter.. yet my baby just stands still...its like he doesnt want to move! now in a little container he is trying his best to get out!

well i got him all excited today in his big rubber maid grass tub... the grass isnt fully in but he was all over teh place, nice considering i swear hes the most lethargic tortoise EVERY

sorry for the side track

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Woo hoo! Glad it worked. I've always had two tubs in my house. One for people one for soaking reptiles. I always use bleach in between because I soak so many different animals in there. Also works as a great feeding chamber for big snakes if you have one of those enclosed shower doors.

I prefer bathtubs to other types of tubs because of the angled bottom and back. The angled bottom allows them to choose the depth at which they are comfortable and the back part(where you'd lean your back if you were laying in the tub) is at a pretty gentle slope. Invariably, the go to the shallow end and try in vain to climb out. If you are trying to exercise them, this works great. They never get anywhere but they walk for miles. If you don't have an acre for them to wander this is the next best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.