Neverending beak drama- is THIS the culprit?

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Ive had beak drama with my guy for like 5 years. Recently @Yvonne G helped me to understand that Tylers beak was in fact cracked in the middle and THAT is why his sides always grow so long. I went to the vet recently and he told me to leave his beak as it is right now. That the sides weren't long enough to merit stressing him out to trim yet. Here is my question : the bottom of his beak- when his mouth is open- he has that little "hook" thing. To me that looks like maybe it is too long and that is why his beak is cracked in the middle. Does anyone do any maintenance to this bottom part? Can you se what Im talking about in this picture?

Is the bottom part being too long keeping the top part cracking?

Thanks for any guidance. I appreciate it so much!
Karen

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 6.34.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 6.47.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 6.49.58 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I read in a thread somewhere that Yvonne posted (im 98% sure it was her) stating that bottom beak usually isnt a problem with over growing because it gets rubbed on the top beak and naturally files. Since Tyler has the crack, it looks like that wasn't able to happen for his bottom beak and looking at the pictures, it looks like the bottom hook fit perfectly in that crack. So I would assume that is a possibility.
Does he have trouble eating with the bottom beak hook so long?

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
I read in a thread somewhere that Yvonne posted (im 98% sure it was her) stating that bottom beak usually isnt a problem with over growing because it gets rubbed on the top beak and naturally files. Since Tyler has the crack, it looks like that wasn't able to happen for his bottom beak and looking at the pictures, it looks like the bottom hook fit perfectly in that crack. So I would assume that is a possibility.
Does he have trouble eating with the bottom beak hook so long?

He seems to eat ok- Im not entirely sure though. I need to go watch some other sulcatas eat!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To me it looks like the bottom hook fits fine which wouldn't then be the problem. If the bottom hook was too long, pushing up on the upper beak when he tried to close his mouth and couldn't all the way cuz the hook was too long, then it could be the problem as it would put pressure on the top beak from the point of the hook pushing up on it.
To me, it doesn't look to be the problem, however, look close at it with mouth closed. Is it pushing up on the upper beak?