Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I live in GA and it's illegal to own a Box Turtle

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Hopefully some member will take him off your hands. I don't want the responsibility of more pets myself, but, a lttle boxie like this would make a fine pet.

reec

New York
Hopefully some member will take him off your hands. I don't want the responsibility of more pets myself, but, a lttle boxie like this would make a fine pet.

It is acutally legal to own a 3 toed box turtle in NYS if you apply for a permit through the state. I have already applied for it and am waiting for the approval. I run my own animal rescue, so Im pretty sure I will get approved. If not, I will do whatever it takes to get him into the right home in the right state. But owning a box turtle is not illegal everywhere. I may be illegal in Georgia, but as far as the North East, like, in CT it is legal to own one.

baldegale

im pretty sure heat mats are bad for torts/turtles because they cant feel underbody heat. if you must you can put it on the side of the tank though, im not an expert by any means though so i dont know. just make sure you have it on a thermostat. jump start makes one thats $35 thats digital and good

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Its ILLEGAL IN GA TO OWN ONE
Ya GA stinks, Pretty much any animal that is native to here is illegal to possess, regardless if it's captive born. With only a few exceptions.

reec

New York
im pretty sure heat mats are bad for torts/turtles because they cant feel underbody heat. if you must you can put it on the side of the tank though, im not an expert by any means though so i dont know. just make sure you have it on a thermostat. jump start makes one thats $35 thats digital and good
i got the heat under control but thanks :) i have a great thermostat too! thanks everyone for your help and comments

reec

New York
Okay, im baacccck. :rolleyes:So i woke up this morning to a tiny amount of white mold on my eco earth substrate in my 3 month old baby 3 toed box turtles enclosure. I have a pacman frog that has never had this problem with his eco earth before....Maybe its because I have leaf litter in the turtles enclosure? If anyone has any tips of controlling the mold, since the baby is so small I dont want to have to keep cleaning out the enclosure every week. Plus thats a huge waste of substrate that can get costly. I know theres smarter ways to do this. I just dont know what is it lol Maybe organic soil, and live plants, instead of leaf litter, maybe a clean up crew? but I dont really feel too comfortable about a clean up crew because I dont know much on the topic. Im going to take the afternoon to start researching it. But since I always get such great advice on here. I figured id share with you experts :)

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I've never used that product. I use coconut coir, sometimes with some peat moss mixed in, haven't had mold even though i pour water on the substrate occasionally to moisten.

reec

New York
I've never used that product. I use coconut coir, sometimes with some peat moss mixed in, haven't had mold even though i pour water on the substrate occasionally to moisten.
where do you get it? and whats the company that makes it?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
where do you get it? and whats the company that makes it?

The best price i have found for coir (it's been a couple years) was on eBay where you get a big brick postpaid.
There are qualitative differences in these products but that knowledge is beyond my expertise.
Peat moss, any garden/landscaping store, even Walmart.