New 55 Gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Well Petco had another sale, 1 dollar a gallon so we couldn't resist. We got a 55 Gallon, no lid or lighting. I will make a lid and use our 30 gallon fluorescent and basking light.

I've been looking at the DIY 3d backgrounds and they got me thinking how perfect they would be for turtles with some proper shelfs.

So I researched them for a few days and than went and got some supplies.

Now in all honesty I don't have any idea what I'm doing, some of it is based on what others have done and some of it is just made up along the way.

Supply list so far:

Drylok latex paint
Hot Glue and Gun
Styrofoam
PVC pipe

The tank and a tupperware the same size as the filter tupperware. I will try to hide the filter under some made rocks along with the heater.

It's a homemade filter, basically a smaller version of what I use in my Koi ponds.

55galbk_01.jpg

Here's the sheet before the mess begins.

55galbk_02.jpg

I first cut out a piece the same size as the back of the aquarium. I than cut it into 3 pieces so it would go in the tank. I than made a duplicate set and drew out a pattern to cut.

Originally I was following someone elses directions but ended making all the rocks connect like a jigsaw. I changed my mind and decided I wanted it to be a large rock face, not a stack of rocks. But I had already cut the jigsaw. It actually helped some, with the jigsaw I could work in smaller areas and pull out pieces, sculpt them and than put them back. I'm not sure I would do it again this way but it did work.

55galbk_03.jpg

55galbk_04.jpg

The first test fit.

55galbk_05.jpg

All 3 tiles together.

55galbk_06.jpg

Another test fit.

55galbk_07.jpg

55galbk_08.jpg

and finally a water test. I wanted to test the fit and test the shelves under the water before I start finalizing the design. The final shelf on the right will be the basking area and will be removable so that I can access the filter box. I'm using pvc pipe to hold the tiles in place I want to avoid using silicone to glue it in.

55galbk_09.jpg

55galbk_10.jpg

Again I have no idea what I'm doing, just making it up as I go.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Anyways, had a rough week, Boy went to the ER for respiratory problems, he's better now after some antibiotics, steroids, breath treatments etc. Man he has been one crazy roller coaster ride for the last 2 years.

But I did get some work done, it was late night work so not many pics.

More Carving

55galbk_11.jpg

I painted Drylok as a base over the whole thing. I than used acrylic to tint the drylok and painted a base color. After that I added more layers of drylok and while the paint was wet added sand. I let it dry for an hour or so, where the sand is thickest it doesn't dry as fastd, I than washed it removing the sand and some of the paint, this gives it a nice texture. Wash, Rinse and Repeat.

I'm now using a sea sponge to lighten it and add highlights than a black wash will be added.

55galbk_12.jpg

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
wow, i cant wiat to see some fish in their with the light shining in their!! thats gonna be awesome! iv actully never seen nething like that! good work!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOVE IT :D Your turtles are going to love it too

How much worry is there about dirt, food, algae etc. Getting behind the structure and polluting the tank?
Just wondering:D

jkingler

5 Year Member
Where did you get the styrofoam from? This opens a whole world of lightweight, waterproof possibilities...=D

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Thanks everyone, this has been a fun project and I'd like to point out that this nothing I came up with, I'm following examples and tutorials done by others in the Aquarium world.

I did come up with the sand/paint technique, which I have never used in an aquarium so we will see how that holds up, if it does start to chip I will just remove the back ground and touch it up and than epoxy it. But so far I've handled it pretty rough and it seems to be holding the drylok sand is pretty tough and the look is great.

I also used PVC pipes and floatation to hold the background in place, I don't like the idea of gluing it in.

Now this does leave the back unsealed and open to pollution work it's way back there. If this was a fish tank I would seal the edges at least, but I'm yet to have a turtle tank that didn't need to be routinely torn down and cleaned from top to bottom.

On to the questions:

The styrofoam comes in 4x8 sheets from lowes or homedepot in blue or pink.

Drylok is inert once dry, it is used in concrete ponds and potable water tanks along with waterproofing basements. I have never used it in an aquarium or done this before, but I have seen plenty of others that have and even in saltwater. Google DIY aquarium backgrounds, there is a ton of info.

Well I have filled/emptied and refilled to make adjustments and just to make sure it's all clean.

I still need to build a canopy for the basking light and other lights, so it will be a few days before they go into their new home.

We wanted a shallow area for the Razorback and baby Diamondbacks so I used some rock and gravel to raise one side.

I'm still using the home built internal filter for now, we plan to upgrade to a canister filter later, when I do I'll have to reshape the filter section of the background.

now the pics....

55galbk_13.jpg

55galbk_14.jpg

55galbk_15.jpg

55galbk_16.jpg

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
no way! i was gonna make something just like this! lol very nice . i was gonnw include a small stream in mine tho

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Alright, bot the temporary lid and lighting, have to start working on the new canopy this weekend.

So here's the Turtles in their new home.

2 Southern Painted - Izzy and Lizzy
3 Diamond Back Terrapins - Huey, Dewey and Louie
1 Razorback Musk - Marvin

Yes I know this tank won't be big enough forever, but it will make it till we move and than we plan on getting them larger housing.

Some Mollies and Platies to chase and a couple algae Eaters.

I couldn't get clear pics of everyone, but here is the clearest of the blurry aquarium images

55galbk_17.jpg

55galbk_18.jpg

55galbk_19.jpg

55galbk_20.jpg

55galbk_21.jpg

55galbk_22.jpg

55galbk_23.jpg

55galbk_24.jpg

55galbk_25.jpg

55galbk_26.jpg

55galbk_27.jpg

55galbk_28.jpg

55galbk_29.jpg

55galbk_30.jpg

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Alright well this has taken longer than I thought...LOL But in my spare time I managed to get it built and stained, finally complete.

Lots of Pics for viewing enjoyment

55galbk_31.jpg

55galbk_32.jpg

55galbk_33.jpg

55galbk_34.jpg

55galbk_35.jpg

55galbk_36.jpg

55galbk_37.jpg

55galbk_38.jpg

55galbk_39.jpg

55galbk_40.jpg

55galbk_41.jpg