New Abberant Pattern Baby Leopard Tortoise

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
I saw this little girl (66% chance female due to incubation temp according to breeder) and couldn't resist getting her due to the funky pattern she has on her scutes.View attachment 57719View attachment 57720

Any husbandry advice on how to get her to grow at a rate that won't effect the pattern?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a really different pattern. Nice. Please read and follow Toms threads below to raise her health and smooth. The sulcata threads will apply to her too.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is awesome there is no way I would of passed that one up ether.grrrrreat find !!!!!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: New Abberant Pattern Baby Leopard Tortoise

chosen2030 said:
Any husbandry advice on how to get her to grow at a rate that won't effect the pattern?

Yes, raise her hot and humid. Her growth will come in smooth and evenly.

Sent from my TFOapp

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ive never owned a leopard but I think that patter will change quite a bit by the time she becomes a big girl. I could be wrong, nice looking tort

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very nice specimen indeed. As Ed mentioned as the animal matures , you will see break up of the pattern and new ones develop. Nonetheless a very special lil’ Leo no doubt!
:)

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
She looks so awesome! I love the "S" I would probably name her something that starts with that. :) Looking forward to seeing what name you come up with.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Of course new growth will come in and it will give her an overall "new look" ;) but if she grows smooth that S (which looks like part of a split scute) will still be in the center of new growth. If she pyramids it will get distorted.
Look at the Leopard Gaia owned by member Zamric. Her split scute paterns still look perfect even though she has grown quite a bit.

Sent from my TFOapp

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Wait... I need to clarify something. Is the S on a single, merged scute? Our is it divided up by a split or individual scute? I can't seem to tell from the pic.
If the S is on one scute then it would stay in the center of new growth. If it is divided on different scutes then it will break up as new growth comes in.
;)
She is Super Special though ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
They appear to be completely different secures when I blow up the picture. With new growth, that S will change, if so.

_________
~ Shelly ~

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Good insight Heather. It will be fun to see what that "S" does. That baby is a Soopahhhh-stahhh (superstar). : )

is that a reference to Superstar, the Molly Shannon movie?

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Mesa, Arizona
I love that movie. I could name it Mary Katherine if it's a girl or Ghallager if it turns out to be a boy. :D

Can anyone tell me if abberant patterns tend to be singular mutations or if there's a chance its inheritable and she or her offspring (if recessive) could produce funky patterned babies?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
chosen2030 said:
I love that movie. I could name it Mary Katherine if it's a girl or Ghallager if it turns out to be a boy. :D

Can anyone tell me if abberant patterns tend to be singular mutations or if there's a chance its inheritable and she or her offspring (if recessive) could produce funky patterned babies?

yes it is inheritable...as well as the split scute. I firmly believe not only does temperatures effect the growth structure during incubation…..High Temps = Split Scutes , but it is also a "genetic" thing.