New Addition to the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
Tonight we brought home a new addition. A little Sulcata. He/she is soooo cute. We haven't picked out a name yet so for now I guess the name will be Sully. Sully weighs 92 grams and measures 2 7/8" in length. I'm guessing a few months old. The young guy I bought him from couldn't really tell me how old Sully is. Sully came with a 20 g long tank but the substrate the guy was using was sand. Yikes! I replaced it with Jungle bed, Sully had a good soak and misting and has been basking ever since. Here's a few pics. I know it's way to early to tell the gender, but I'm drawing a blank- how big do they need to be to be able to tell?
DSC01038.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01060.jpg

And my favorite so far...
DSC01056.jpg

:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. Congrats.

Some of them you really can't tell until adulthood or close to it. Most of them you should have a pretty good idea by the time they are around a foot long. I knew Scooter was a boy within the second or third year, but I thought Bert was Bertha for about nine years. Yours is looking a little female-ish to me, but it could change a lot over the next few years.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Marty333 said:
I think your Sully is almost a year old because my 3 month old Sulcata looks a lot younger than your Sully.

I agree, looking at my two yearlings I think yours is older. I would guess 10-11 months. Very cute anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! Isn't that always the way it is? The young guy you got Sully from didn't have a clue how to take care of a baby sulcata, and yet here he is, several months later, just as smooth as can be!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I know... It's crazy!!! Sully has been spending quite a bit of time basking and being misted a few times today. Getting ready for another soak. Tex Wasabi, my big guy got his first taste of pumpkin today and it was hysterical. He went after it so quickly. I'm pretty sure he liked it ;o)

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
So glad that Sully has a good home with a family that's commited to taking good care of him(or her). I love the close up face pic at the end, very cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.