New Additions - Daisy & Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

aco43

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham UK
Okay, first proper post with a new thread on the forum for apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.

We have finally taken receipt of our two new baby Sulcata's 'Daisy' & 'Duke'.

20lb1z.jpg

In the picture above Duke is on the left and is ever so slightly smaller than Daisy. They are currently 13 weeks old and both of them weigh approx 50g (although our kitchen scales have just broke so not sure how accurate that is) and they both measure 5 cm along the plastron.

73i72g.jpg

Here is a closer look at Duke. His shell is slightly darker in colour than Daisy's.

11130cx.jpg

Here is Daisy. She appears to be the more lively of the two of them at the moment.

We currently have them in a largish table on a eco soil and calcium sand mix along with a chopped hay area at the cooler end of the table.

They have a 100 watt ubv/uv heat lamp which stays on for about 12 hours a day and goes off at night. The temp drops to about 65 fahrenheit at night so I'm concerned they might be getting too cold as their activity levels seemed to have dropped slightly although their appetite seems fine? Also we have been bathing them for 5 mins once a day. Is this enough?

I know there are many answers on the forum to browse so I won't keep posting them here!

Hope you like the pics ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would remove the white wood looking shavings, as they may try to eat it since its mixed with the lettuce.
calcium sand only 'works' if it is eaten, and you dont want that to happen with torts. It can cause impaction.
Chopped hay... is this to hide in or to eat? babies dont eat hay for the most part.. you can chop is finely and mix it with wet dark greens. That way they will eat some of it along with the greens. They might develope a taste for it along the way.
What kind of lights do you have and temps? hiding places? Diet? Humidity? They need that to grow smoothly. I see growth lines on your two.. but it could be smoother. not to worry too much, but a few things may need to be changed.
Soaking. most like to soak 15-20 minutes a day. but dont allow the water to get cool. you can add a few drops of liquid bird vitamin in the water too.
What kind of calcium are they getting? Cuttle bones are great to leave in thier enclosure and you can scrape it over thier greens as well.
When you can get them safely outdoors for some real sunshine.. that is the best!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are beautiful! I am going to give a couple of concerns....okay?:D

You say one is a little smaller--Duke and that Daisy is the one a bit more active....here I would strongly suggest keeping an eye on them as there may be some mental bullying going on...

I would make sure to not allow the evening temps to go below 78-80 ish....you say they are eating but are slowing down now...you will want to provide high enough temps to allow digestion to happen....you know?

I would get the calcium sand out of their enclosure right off....if they feel the need to consume calcium they may begin to voluntarily ingest it which could lead to serious health issues including impaction ...sand does not move through their system very well...if you want them to have additional calcium then I would suggest a calcium bone to offer them....IMHO

Soaking should be in warm water and be soaked for at least 30 minutes per day..as they are young still....

So you are using a Mercury Vapor Bulb (an all in one heat and uva/uvb bulb)?

aco43

5 Year Member
Nottingham UK
Thanks Laura.
There is a cuttle bone in the enclosure which they have both had a go at. The shavings you can see is actually the hay which was only in the cooler area of the enclosure and where the hide is. They have managed to drag it through the soil! I don't think I like it really and might remove it.

Biggest concern at the moment is night time temp. Will they be ok if temp drops to circa 60 fahrenheit or do we need to get some night heat in there?

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes you are correct regarding the bulb and at night the temp in the house is dropping to about 65 (I have to keep doing the conversion as we use celcius lol!). Think we might get a ceramic heater for night heat.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
that does not look like Hay.. it looks like Aspen shavings.. Hay is dried grass and greenish..
I would warm them up a bit at night..
and be sure to watch them.. two feeding stations wouldnt hurt if you think one is slower then the other.
Dark Greens like a good baby salad mix is good. slice of pumpkin or butternut squash, hibiscus flowers, .. variety...:)

aco43

5 Year Member
Nottingham UK
Thanks again for the advice. We only got them on sunday so still plenty of learning to do although we have been used to having Horsfields in the family in the past.

They seem to have an appetite for dandelions, they don't last long!

Anyway, it's getting late here and work in the morning so night all :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NIGHT!
they love dandilions and they are a agreat part of a varied diet.
Please dont take all our suggestions or comments as an attack..
we are all learning things everyday..

Status
Not open for further replies.