Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
bfmorris said:
We met at the halfway point and did a nice Mexican lunch.

And you blind-folded them and made many, many turns and twists during your drive home?

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
This past week, Tom and I acquired several baby sulcatas. No biggie...right? Wrong! After a lot of patience and anticipation, we met Brad (BFMorris) out in Buttf**k, Egypt (no offense Danny)...and picked up 20 of these outstanding Sudan sulcata...yes...offspring to those seen here...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Sulcata-250-lb-male-specimens#axzz1vQB2Ogmr

We had lunch and spent over an hour picking Brad's brain about the right (and wrong) way to raise sulcata hatchlings. Very informative...and to many...very controversial. Anyway, here are the six I selected...enjoy!

Here they are eating...sorta!

Climber II mugs it up on literally the second picture I took...

And someone seems a tad too interested to explore...

They are spending nights under a 150W CHE...but I am alternating substrates...one night, moistened Coco coir/Coconut bark mixture...the next, dry, finely chopped (about 1 - 2 inches long) orchard grass. However, their nighttime temps are right at 80*

During the day, I have them set up in a Zoo Med Tortoise House...with the bottom removed, so they can graze...and they do! They move around a lot during the day...spending a good amount of time in their hid...and an equally significant amount of time in the sun! They are also soaked about 20* in the morning and another 20 mid-to-late afternoon!

That's all for now! I'm sure Tom will be along shortly to wow us with his next line of experiments!

How are you able to bring those Sulcatas to America? Aren't only captive breed torts allowed?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
They are captive bred...but the ancestral animals were brought into the country in the late 70s/early 80s...

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
They are captive bred...but the ancestral animals were brought into the country in the late 70s/early 80s...

Gotcha! When you said Sudan Sulcatas I thought you meant you just brought them over from there:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Linzbragg said:
DeanS said:

Gotcha! When you said Sudan Sulcatas I thought you meant you just brought them over from there:)

Nah! I was referring to the fact that they are locale specific!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Any updates on these warlocks??? I'm interested to see what their growth rates would be like next to just regular sulcatas.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Basically, they've out on between 1/4 - 1/2"...I'll have more specifics soon!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
awww man... i am bummed... i saw this thread pop up and thought there would be updated pictures and stats of these little cuties!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Melly-n-shorty said:
awww man... i am bummed... i saw this thread pop up and thought there would be updated pictures and stats of these little cuties!!

Soon!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
All right...here's an update...with photos! The other four still have no names! They are all between 60 and 80 grams...my scale ONLY weighs in lbs and kgs...so 60 can mean 60 or 69 or anything in between! All are between 2.5" and 2.75"...that's half to three quarters of an inch of growth at two months! Here are a few photos...

Pineapple...
20r4w2g.jpg

2yywgts.jpg

Sulcata 2...
iej8n6.jpg

xap4zp.jpg

Sulcata 3...
5wgvpi.jpg

1zegxhi.jpg

Sulcata 4...
2qx9qgl.jpg

b8v0bd.jpg

Sulcata 5...
2s61nok.jpg

33aa068.jpg

Climber II...
286ozt.jpg

22xmc3.jpg

So, until next time...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm... Those look so familiar... :D

Lookin' good. Not surprised.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Hmmm... Those look so familiar... :D

Lookin' good. Not surprised.

Looking forward to seeing yours...;)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
They are coming along nicely! So happy you posted these :) they have gotten so big already! I really like the shape if their shells... They already look ready to plow through stuff like little tanks! You are doing great. Keep us posted!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
leonardo the tmnt said:
Radiated said:
i love pineapple!!

Me too she is lighter then the others

If you look at the most recent photo of her...that's EXACTLY what Snowflake looked liked when I first got her...before her accident!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.