New adopted Sulcata and I have questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just got her from a family that had no room for her..(she was living in a 4ft by 1ft aquarium) and the poor thing couldn't even turn around. Her shell has some pretty bad pyramiding and she had never been outside in her 6 years of life. I was told she was female but I'm not too sure about that? She's about a foot long.

Now to the questions:
Is there a way to prevent anymore pyramiding? I've been spraying her but she doesn't like it very much.

Is She a male or female? Sorry for her dirty "area" I didn't get a chance to clean it before I took the picture. Her plastron isn't concaved!

Also, does anyone have any ideas on an outdoor enclosure for her? It can't be too expensive..something simple, cheap and effective.

Thanks for your time! :)

image-1531826779.png

image-1955301372.png

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Was there damage done to the tail, looks like some is missing or it could just be dirt..

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
dmarcus said:
Was there damage done to the tail, looks like some is missing or it could just be dirt..

It's probably just dirt because her tail looks fine. What gender do you think "it" is?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How exciting of an adventure for the two of you!! What a great save you have just done :D I am not great at id'g when I can't touch and see the tortoise in person..but for fun I first thought female as well.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...my guess is male. See how the points of the anal scutes point outward away from the tail? Male.

That tortoise is way big enough to live outside. If he can't have the run of the yard for safety reasons, then it would be fairly easy to stack up some cinder blocks and make him a pen. They cost around $1 apiece. You can also get some used lumber and make a corral for him.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
emysemys said:
Sorry...my guess is male. See how the points of the anal scutes point outward away from the tail? Male.

That tortoise is way big enough to live outside. If he can't have the run of the yard for safety reasons, then it would be fairly easy to stack up some cinder blocks and make him a pen. They cost around $1 apiece. You can also get some used lumber and make a corral for him.

That was why I was confused when she said it's female because it looks male to me but then again I'm not great at Id'ing them. And the cinder block idea is good..I'll probably do that but how big should the area be? I've got plenty of room.

ascott said:
How exciting of an adventure for the two of you!! What a great save you have just done :D I am not great at id'g when I can't touch and see the tortoise in person..but for fun I first thought female as well.....

I hope "it's" female. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because he's not used to being in a big area, you can start with a smaller area. I'd say 16' x 20'. Then, if he eats all that forage down to the dirt, you can just let out a side and make it bigger. But once a sulcata has been allowed a big space, you can't easily put him back into a smaller space. He'll keep trying to escape. That's why I suggested start smaller and grow bigger.

M

Maggie Cummings

You can find a large dogloo on Craigslist and heat that for his night sleeping. Do you have predators in your area? You'll need to be careful how you set him up. If it's dropping down below 60 degrees you should lock him inside. This is so exciting for you and him. How thrilling for him to be outside!

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
maggie3fan said:
You can find a large dogloo on Craigslist and heat that for his night sleeping. Do you have predators in your area? You'll need to be careful how you set him up. If it's dropping down below 60 degrees you should lock him inside. This is so exciting for you and him. How thrilling for him to be outside!

I have a lot of coyotes and hawks where I live. He/She has been sleeping inside at night. She really seems to like it outside! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I saw the anal scutes, but I think the issue with even guessing is the fact that this sulcata had not be taken care of and the shell has not grown correctly. ultimately you may not know until you get flashed or eggs are laid.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think you're correct. I would expect that at this size, if it were a male, the tail would be obvious. Sometimes with MBD, the anal scutes don't grow as you might expect.So, I say female as well.
dmarcus said:
I saw the anal scutes, but I think the issue with even guessing is the fact that this sulcata had not be taken care of and the shell has not grown correctly. ultimately you may not know until you get flashed or eggs are laid.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
yagyujubei said:
I think you're correct. I would expect that at this size, if it were a male, the tail would be obvious. Sometimes with MBD, the anal scutes don't grow as you might expect.So, I say female as well.
dmarcus said:

Thats the same issue my rescue sulcata has, the shell didn't grow right and the anal scutes tips are very rounded and almost touch and I have to check every now and then to make sure there is no poop stuck.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This might sound weird to some here who have heard me advising outside is best....but in this situation my gut is telling me if it were me I would gradually introduce this tortoise to the outdoors in a little by little design...like out during the day when you are able to keep an eye on her...then more and more during the day...I would however not leave her out during the night or extreme cold for any length of time until you have had time to strengthen her up and to let her get some outdoor skills...especially if you say you are in coyote country...as she is easy Pickens till she develops some outdoor skills....you say she has not been outdoors ever so to me while outside is key...I believe you need to ease her into it and not particularly in the cool time of year....I just felt compelled to share that was all.:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ascott said:
This might sound weird to some here who have heard me advising outside is best....but in this situation my gut is telling me if it were me I would gradually introduce this tortoise to the outdoors in a little by little design...like out during the day when you are able to keep an eye on her...then more and more during the day...I would however not leave her out during the night or extreme cold for any length of time until you have had time to strengthen her up and to let her get some outdoor skills...especially if you say you are in coyote country...as she is easy Pickens till she develops some outdoor skills....you say she has not been outdoors ever so to me while outside is key...I believe you need to ease her into it and not particularly in the cool time of year....I just felt compelled to share that was all.:D

I agree with this...

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
ascott said:

Oops! I had her outside for just about the whole day today. I put her out around 10am and just took her inside at 5pm. I live in Arizona and today wasn't a cold day I doubt it got below 70 degrees. I was out watching her for a good portion of the time. I only came inside to have little breaks like get a drink of water, use the restroom etc. I agree about not leaving her outside during the night..The poor thing can hardly hold her own weight when she walks (it's like her back legs "give in"). I'm going to give her time to build up strength in her legs and gain outdoor skills before she's put out there for good.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oops! I had her outside for just about the whole day today. I put her out around 10am and just took her inside at 5pm. I live in Arizona and today wasn't a cold day I doubt it got below 70 degrees. I was out watching her for a good portion of the time. I only came inside to have little breaks like get a drink of water, use the restroom etc. I agree about not leaving her outside during the night..The poor thing can hardly hold her own weight when she walks (it's like her back legs "give in"). I'm going to give her time to build up strength in her legs and gain outdoor skills before she's put out there for good.

No oops necessary :D What you describe here sounds fair. Have you designed a container (or have one) large enough to soak her in warm water? This will help her to hydrate well and also to assist her in getting the gut moving out food and the like....Does she show interest in grazing?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It will be a slow process but she will get the strength in those legs back and be doing what sulcats's do soon enough..

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
ascott said:
No oops necessary :D What you describe here sounds fair. Have you designed a container (or have one) large enough to soak her in warm water? This will help her to hydrate well and also to assist her in getting the gut moving out food and the like....Does she show interest in grazing?

I do have something I could put her in to soak. I got her yesterday and I haven't soaked her yet, but will do first thing tomorrow. Also she hasn't eaten or drank anything since I got her and I haven't seen a bowel movement (which is probably from not eating). I assume this is normal since shes still getting the feel of things in her new home. Is there anything I could do to get her to eat? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.