New adopted Sulcata and I have questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
BrinnANDGupta said:
The natural sunshine that u are giving her well make her MBD heal If she has some
And once she starts eating supplement her with calcium , I don't think u need to supplement her with D3 too since she gets five hours of sunlight everyday
I'm so glad she is making progress !!!!!

Cuttlebones are good for calcium..aren't they? Just as long as she eats it I guess! Lol.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
HollyH8 said:
BrinnANDGupta said:
The natural sunshine that u are giving her well make her MBD heal If she has some
And once she starts eating supplement her with calcium , I don't think u need to supplement her with D3 too since she gets five hours of sunlight everyday
I'm so glad she is making progress !!!!!

Cuttlebones are good for calcium..aren't they? Just as long as she eats it I guess! Lol.

Yea but I haven't ever heard of a sulcata that will actual est his cuttlebone haha

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mine does it, I just toss a couple in different places in the yard and when he finds them he eats them...

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
dmarcus said:
Mine does it, I just toss a couple in different places in the yard and when he finds them he eats them...

Good to know!

M

Maggie Cummings

Holly, remember when you told Angela he closed his eyes when you first soaked him? He probably drank then. They don't really gulp water so you can see, they suck it slowly thru their closed mouth. So he is probably drinking and you just can't tell. But I would only soak him for 15 minutes or so. An hour soak is kinda long and not necessary.
Get him some fresh greens, whatever the store has available now and put them in a pile and go away and leave him for a while. Does he graze when you put him outside? Is it hot there now? Maybe 80 degrees? Do you have a basking light for him? I am wondering if he is warm enough now. Keep him away from your hatchlings. If he is actually a male he can all the sudden feel manly and ram those babies quickly and hurt one. It can happen faster then you can stop it.
When I introduced Bob to Queenie he reached out quicker then a snake and bit her. I was holding her going to protect her but it all happened so fast I couldn't even react...so be careful

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
maggie3fan said:
Holly, remember when you told Angela he closed his eyes when you first soaked him? He probably drank then. They don't really gulp water so you can see, they suck it slowly thru their closed mouth. So he is probably drinking and you just can't tell. But I would only soak him for 15 minutes or so. An hour soak is kinda long and not necessary.
Get him some fresh greens, whatever the store has available now and put them in a pile and go away and leave him for a while. Does he graze when you put him outside? Is it hot there now? Maybe 80 degrees? Do you have a basking light for him? I am wondering if he is warm enough now. Keep him away from your hatchlings. If he is actually a male he can all the sudden feel manly and ram those babies quickly and hurt one. It can happen faster then you can stop it.
When I introduced Bob to Queenie he reached out quicker then a snake and bit her. I was holding her going to protect her but it all happened so fast I couldn't even react...so be careful

Well I don't have grass for her to graze on just yet I'm thinking about purchasing a 1 pound bag of seed from Sulcatafood.com. Do you know if they're seed is good and will grow in the winter? Its been getting a little chilly here in Az, it's not quite in the 80's yet but is in the high 60's during the day. I don't have a basking light for her and I didn't think I needed one since she is outside daily in the sun and I bring her in around 5pm and my house stays fairly warm (its never below 70 degrees). Do I need to get one? Do you think she's cold?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi! Glad to hear she took a couple bites...that is at least some interest right :D

I believe in the power of a longer warm water soak...I have personally seen this simple and relaxing event save ailing tortoise ...hydration is paramount when helping a stressed tortoise...and in my opinion your tortoise is likely stressed simply by being relocated...new outside planet and this new thing (you) fulfilling needs she never knew she had....I know some folks will do brief short soaks...however if your tortoise was relaxed and seemed to enjoy the soak...I would let her take in a nice long soak....you of course can do shorter soaks if you so wish...but I would suggest longer warm soaks for awhile...:D

Also you were asking about the cuttlebone...you can leave one where your tort will easily find it...as well as once you get her eating a bit more and on a schedule you can scrape across a cuttlebone to get fine powder and do this over her food...then mist the food pile so the powder is kinda over all and not so immediately shaken off....

Again, remember to be calm and patient and take your time when moving her and moving around her....take it to a tortoise speed....relaxed and steady. I am glad to hear that she did not flee from you when you sat down with her....good sign...IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.