New adoption(maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, I am new to the Leopard site because a friend called and her friend has a tortoise he wants to place. When I spoke to him finally he tells me it's an African Leopard.(I hope) He has had it long enough to be about 10 in (but not sure how long he's had it) The pet store that sold it to him gave him a tiny strip of paper with his purchase of this pet, and since it only said they eat greens, that's all it's been fed.
It got to big for his aquarium(my bet is it's a 10 gal,) And now, get this, it just runs free in his house. No lights, no squash, no nothing!!!!!The one good news is he has had it in his backyard all summer. So I am thinking about it. He places him/her in the tub every few days. Easy pet right? (Please realize I am not kidding about this poor torts sitution. I abhore people getting any pets with no thought process. Sometimes, when I write I think people understand my undertone.
Question; they seem to have similar requirements to the red foot.no? I have an outside large pen, for the warm months, then kids pools in the winter. It seems they get pretty large, but will they be about to go through sheet rock large? He claims some one said they get aggressive with other torts, but my guess is he's thinking male to male thing.
Any thoughts?/ they really look like a cool tortoise, but I don't want to jump in head first. I have not seen him yet.
I just feel I need to take him and give him what he needs.
Thanks for all/any ideas.
Yes I will vet check him first, and quarenteen him away from my others.
Nadine

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I would suggest doing some research on http://africantortoise.com/. Thats the best site on the net for the big African torts. Most likely its a G. pardalis babcocki which stay smaller than their South African cousin G. pardalis pardalis. The babcocki average around 35lbs. So, no they really arent going to be plowing through the drywall like a Sulcata would.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i wanted to peruse that site anja but the SOUND is miserable...and no mute button!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
josh said:
i wanted to peruse that site anja but the SOUND is miserable...and no mute button!

There is sound? LOL I keep my speakers turned off most of the time anyways.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I do the same thing with my speakers, but I will have to go back and hear it!!!
Thanks for the link.
NAy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nay, are you still considering it? Has anything so far changed or made up your mind one way or another?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Jacqui said:
Nay, are you still considering it? Has anything so far changed or made up your mind one way or another?

Hi there,
well I went on the link that I was given(along with many others) and it seems some leopards get a bit larger than others. I am supposed to meet this him?her? this week. Maybe I will send a pic and you guys can tell me which kind it is. I did set up another pool with lights,etc, in case. They look so cool. Tell me how you feel about a kids pool for a leopard(for the winter only, I have a big outside place for them)
thanks Nadine

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The pools can work for several years depending on what size he is now..and what size of pool you get. It's better than him being in an aquarium, especially if it is just a 10 gallon one. Your going to just be using it as his winter quarters, not his only home, so I don't see a problem at all. Very few of us have the space inside to have a set up as large as our outside one is for our torts.:D:D

LOL I am guessing if you have set up the pool already, is not a "just in case", it's a done deal already. Your gonna be getting this guy! :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.