New and concerned..need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Wayne, IN (USA)
Hello,
okay so we recently got a baby spur thigh (aka sulcata) baby tortoise. Now I am talking about a baby, it still has its peeping beak/tooth. The is only 2inches max, and we did get it from a pet shop.

That being said, we did our research and know how long they can live, how large they get, housing, lights, and diet requirements. The little guy is all set up.

I will read the sticky's in this area here in a bit..

My Concerns:

The things I am concerned about is that his shell seems soft, and shell belly seems wrinkled. Does this some normal?

He also bobs his head when he poos. He has pooed mainly dark, but we had a white one (guessing that it is the urate) yesterday. He poos often, several times a day. Is the head bobbing normal for this age?

He also looks sometimes like he has a film on him..I really don't know how to explain it.

He has an appetite, and eats very well. He is semi-active, again though is he just a baby. We got him on friday after thinking it over a week and getting his set up indoors together. We have named him (dont know actual gender) Franklin.

Any advice would be most helpful.
Thank You

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome, I think that is normal, but I don't have any baby tort experience.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The baby tort that is an egg is soft and curled up with a creased plastron (undershell). As they grow, they straighten out and harden up... yours is entirely normal for such a young tort. :)

Torts strain as they poo -I wouldn't worry about the bobbing.

As for the frequency, your little tort has a healthy appetite and what goes in, has to come out again.

Poo is dark coloured and should be quite firm. the exact colouration depends on what they've been eating. If it gets liquid, then there isn't enough fibre in the diet. The white stuff is normal in tortoise wee. If it happens regularly, you little tort may be a dehydrated.

Give your tort a daily soak in luke warm water (a plastic box is great because he can't climb out) for 20 mins which help him get enough water on board to stay hydrated. Don't be surprised if he uses it as a toilet... most torts do. Just change the water if it gets dirty or too cold!

grsthevet

5 Year Member
Hillybean said:
Hello,
okay so we recently got a baby spur thigh (aka sulcata) baby tortoise. Now I am talking about a baby, it still has its peeping beak/tooth. The is only 2inches max, and we did get it from a pet shop.

That being said, we did our research and know how long they can live, how large they get, housing, lights, and diet requirements. The little guy is all set up.

I will read the sticky's in this area here in a bit..

My Concerns:

The things I am concerned about is that his shell seems soft, and shell belly seems wrinkled. Does this some normal?

He also bobs his head when he poos. He has pooed mainly dark, but we had a white one (guessing that it is the urate) yesterday. He poos often, several times a day. Is the head bobbing normal for this age?

He also looks sometimes like he has a film on him..I really don't know how to explain it.

He has an appetite, and eats very well. He is semi-active, again though is he just a baby. We got him on friday after thinking it over a week and getting his set up indoors together. We have named him (dont know actual gender) Franklin.

Any advice would be most helpful.
Thank You

The shell will continue to harden as it mineralizes with age. The head bobbing you describe is likely normal and is probably just breathing. You may notice the throat making similar motions. The crease or wrinkle you describe on the bottom shell (plastron) may indicate that your tortoise is very young indeed as that may be from hatching. They are bent at midshell when they hatch and flatten as they walk and any remaining yolk is absorbed. There may be a remnant of the yolk attachment on the plastron if you look closely. The film may also be from hatching and should come off with time. If it does not, I would have a local herp-friendly veterinarian check it out to make sure it is not some form of infectious process. All in all, sounds pretty normal to me. Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi grsthevet:

Won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Give your tort a daily soak in luke warm water (a plastic box is great because he can't climb out) for 20 mins which help him get enough water on board to stay hydrated. Don't be surprised if he uses it as a toilet... most torts do. Just change the water if it gets dirty or too cold!

Keep his head above water.
Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hillybean:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

grsthevet

5 Year Member
I agree with JoesMum. Everything sounds good and it sounds like you have a young tortoise indeed. The shell will continue to harden as it mineralizes as it ages. The wrinkle usually does not take long to flatten out. Good luck.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies
Welcome and congrats on your new addition, from your post your tort sounds very young, just hatched, I bet he is adorable.. Check out the link above, that is some of the best info u can find, not sure where u got your info but most everything on the web is outdated.. Other than that everything sounds pretty good, one thing I do though is when my baby passes the white stuff, uriates it is, I examine it, feel it, it should be soft and resemble cottage cheese, if its not soft and rather gritty could be an indicator that your baby is under-hydrated, soaking in shallow luke warm water for 20 min daily and always having water available is important, humidity will also help, all that is covered in the link above.. Good luck and post some pics!! :)

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
My little guy's name is Franklin too! Although that may change in the future:) Welcome to the group, this forum has been a lifesaver for me and my little tort!

Hillybean

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne, IN (USA)
Thank you all for the welcome and the advice!

I made a few changes to his viv, and I have been giving him two warm water 10minute soaks a day. Most reptiles in pet shops are dehydrated from shipping, but this guy was even more so due to lack of water being offered.

Here is my intro link and I have pictures on there of him...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-New-from-IN#axzz1h0qZszeF

Status
Not open for further replies.