New and Confused (pet store lied)

marissab

I just learned that the pet store I adopted my Russian tort from lied (no surprise there) about his age- they claimed he was several months, and in actuality he's a little less than a decade, meaning I will have to purchase a bigger tank (I was thinking 40-50 gallons would be fine). From this info, he's probably wild caught which I'm disappointed by. Does this mean he will never warm up to me? He seems kind of frightened of me, and my friend's Russian tortoises seem to run to greet her and want attention. That being said, I've only had him for 3 days. Will he ever enjoy hand feeding or being handled with time?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Can't say i'm surprised by the pet store, this seems to happen all the time, especially with Russians.
But, given time he will come to see you as the food god, and once he's certain that you won't eat him, a bond can be formed.
Some torts seem to be shy and others more outgoing, it's impossible to say whether your tortoise will become as amenable as your friends, but it may become more so. Give him a chance, he's just getting used to a massive culture shock, but he'll get there.
Time will tell, it always does, and i promise you, it's worth the perseverance. :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
1. Employees at the pet store may not have intentionally lied. A lot of times they don't know either.

2. From my experience with torts and turtles I would not suggest hand feeding. He will relate your hand to food and anytime someone's hands get around him there's a good chance he will start biting. Again this is just my experience.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He will settle in. It is just going to take time and lots of patience.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just learned that the pet store I adopted my Russian tort from lied (no surprise there) about his age- they claimed he was several months, and in actuality he's a little less than a decade, meaning I will have to purchase a bigger tank (I was thinking 40-50 gallons would be fine). From this info, he's probably wild caught which I'm disappointed by. Does this mean he will never warm up to me? He seems kind of frightened of me, and my friend's Russian tortoises seem to run to greet her and want attention. That being said, I've only had him for 3 days. Will he ever enjoy hand feeding or being handled with time?

Pet store employees are usually ignorant or dishonest. My apologies to anyone who is an exception that may read this. Sorry. That is just the way it is. Many of them mean well, but they don't know what they are talking about.

There is no way to tell the age of a wild caught tortoise. Your tortoise might be 40 years old.

The age of the tortoise has nothing to do with cage size. The size does. A 4-5" tortoise needs a large enclosure, regardless of age. No tank will be big enough. You'll need to build something, or have someone build it for you.

Most tortoises don't enjoy handling at all, but in time they desensitize to their people and become less fearful. Most russians will become fearless and approach their people in anticipation of food, sort of like your friend's tortoise.

I think hand feeding can help. I've been hand feeding all of mine for years, and its never caused any biting issues for me. Plus if the tortoise ever does want to bite, just move your hand out of the way. Its a tortoise for goodness sake, not a rattle snake.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Maybe Russians are different but I would dare you to stick your hand down in my box turtle enclosure. they chase my hands around anytime I'm doing anything in there. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Different species are different;, i guess
I hand feed Tidgy every day. (she mostly eats by herself though). I hand feed many other Greek torts as well.
She is normally very careful and takes even small items of food delicately from between my fingers.
She sometimes gets a bit over-excited if it's a particularly tasty treat and if my fingers start to smell of it, but it's easy to avoid her.
Mind you wifey has lost a couple of fingers but she has plenty more.;)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Agreed Adam! I've never hand feed my Sulcata or Leopards because of how my boxies are. I know they never act like they (torts) would bite.

I will say this though, if you aren't paying attention and they do bite, some don't let go right away and it has drawn blood.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Agreed Adam! I've never hand feed my Sulcata or Leopards because of how my boxies are. I know they never act like they (torts) would bite.

I will say this though, if you aren't paying attention and they do bite, some don't let go right away and it has drawn blood.
Yep, Tidgy got me once when she was very small and it was difficult to get her off then! (no blood).
Now, I think it would be pretty darned painful, but i'm faster , though not necessarily smarter, than she is!