1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New and Looking for Identification Help

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by erose78, Oct 8, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. erose78

erose78 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi everyone. I am Erin. I am new here and a new tortoise mother. My friend found a tortoise on her driveway and was unable to find the owners after 3 weeks.. so I decided to adopt. I am still digging through all these threads but I am hope someone can tell me what species this is... just so I know what tailor my research to. Thank you!!! IMG_4921.jpg IMG_4923.jpg
    Cathie G and TammyJ like this.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It's an Arizona desert tortoise that someone has had since it was a hatchling and they kept it in extremely dry conditions, leading to the pyramiding you see on the shell.
  3. erose78

erose78 New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks, Yvonne. I appreciate it!
    Cathie G likes this.
  4. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    He needs some long, long warm soaks right away! Rehydration therapy is key. Lucky guy (or girl?)
    Cathie G likes this.
  5. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    By the way, welcome to this site!:tort:
    Cathie G likes this.
  6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    Cathie G and TammyJ like this.
  7. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Apple Valley, California

In addition to offering hydration which is important...that tort is underweight...which means likely poor diet--which will also contribute to pyramiding....so offer up as much food as the tort will eat...I also would plan to ATTEMPT to keep the tort awake during the winter vs letting it brumate....you will want to be able to watch the tort for a year or so to get to know it before supporting a successful brumation. Gorgeous tort...