New and Looking for information

Status
Not open for further replies.

xadamom

5 Year Member
Hello, my boyfriend and I have been researching tortoises for us as a pet and think we have decided on the russian tortoise. However, I want to make sure that before we get the little guy we have everything he will need here and ready for him so he doesnt have to wait while we set things up.
My question is what should I use as a starter habitat, I have read that using aquariums is not good for tortoises because they do not understand that it is glass, I have read that it also does not allow the ventalation they need. Please help me I want my lil guy to feel as comfy as poosible.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado springs, colorado
big tubs work the bigger the better or put two together then you can have a hot side and a cool side ,(bigger the better they love lots of room), you need a good substrate i use Coco Coir with a cypress mulch , a hide , some flat rock(keeps there toe nails trimed) lighting ... dont get the compact fluorescent lamp those can cause problems for your tort ... if your going to use a fluorescent bulb use the tube kind , i use the Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Bulb , you could use a Zoo Med 100W Powersun UV Mercury Vapor Spot Lamp , those cost a bit more but they give uvb and uva and heat light (all in one bulb) .... zoo med makes a good day heat light also which i use with my Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Bulb, keep the basking spot at 95F cooler spot around 70F , night time temps at 65F , run the lights for 12 to 13 hours a day just like summer time sun ... if your going to keep him indoors make sure he/she gets there Calcium and D3 zoo med makes a good one already mixed called Repti Calcium with D3 put that on there food every other feeding ... spring mix and a choice of greens (kale, collards, mustard) but always have the spring mix as your base .... HHmmmm, did i forget any thing ? sorry im long winded , welcome to the forum ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. Lots of russian owners on TFO. You will learn everything you need to correctly raise your tort.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D

I agree with all that slowpoke has gone over....

I would though consider for a Russian if you use a long tube uvb to use 10.0 and provide a lot of plants as a shade area for them to get in and out of the uvb (if you are going to start with a hatchling to a young tortoise then a 5.0 is good as their little eyeballs are a bit more sensitive during this developmental time) and some folks are aok with letting the night temps drop to 65, however, this has always made me a bit uncomfortable and I prefer not to let the night temps drop below 70-75 ish for a healthy strong animal....again, this is my personal preference and I am not saying anyone is wrong on the 65 :D

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
I dont know anything about Russians but wanted to welcome you anyway... Welcome to TFO!

M

Maggie Cummings

I have raised many chelonia in aquariums. You just need to make sure the lights are right and there's a decent humidity level and you have a big enough aquarium for the growth of the animal. I keep my female Russian in a 200 gallon aquarium while she is inside over winter, but remember, tortoises belong outside, they are more healthy when they spend most of their time outside. I have pens for all of my tortoises so during Spring Summer and Autumn they are outside.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello, xadamom:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

xadamom

5 Year Member
We have finally gotten our new addition to the family. He is a russian tort still very young according to the store, and we named him Mr. Chubbers. I am getting worried about him. we have him in a nice set up, large tub, temp is right for him, humidity fine, shade, water, food. However, he doesnt seem to be eatting i have the same thing the pet store fed him, and now am trying fresh veggies such as romain lettuce, bits of carrots, I am willing to try anything to get him to eat. Also it took him a week and a half to poop his first time, is this normal? Should I worry or am I worrying too much? I want to let him outside but we are in south dakota and it is cold out so he has to wait til summer. Also I have been noticing a lot more often he has tears, I do not know if it is crying or his eyes are dry or what but again I am noticing more often him not opening his eyes and over last few days he is less active which is odd for the first last few weeks he has been so active. Any help is great. I did my homework and did everything that I was told to.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome to TFO.

Written by Kristina.....Soaking your tortoise is a very good idea. Most tortoises will use this time to void their bladder and bowels as well as drink water. It helps to keep them hydrated and healthy.

The water should be warm, but not hot to the touch. Fill the container to the level of the bridge between the carapace and plastron (upper and lower shell,) and soak the tortoise until the water cools, typically 10-20 minutes. Many will plunge their heads completely under the water, and draw in big gulps. This is completely normal, and the tortoise will not drown, even if the nares (nostrils) are covered while drinking, provided that the water is shallow enough for the tortoise to raise its head above the level of the water. They often leave their heads submerged and drink steadily for several minutes. This too is normal.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#ixzz1lo6daAAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.