New and need advice, i have a jumping tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elexusann

5 Year Member
Hi there! :) I was referred to this site by DrewsLife727 and I just received 2 marginated tortoises from him for my 18th birthday. In my tank there is a walkway that leads to the top of their hidebox and one of them likes to jump off. This one also flips over alot when she walks on the moss. Any tips and advice to fix this problem?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Remove the log, It is not jumping more as it is falling off of it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome.. larger enclosure so stuff fits, and get rid of the walk way or whatever it climbs on and falls off...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Ditto the above. I'd remove the walkway that he's falling from. It is somewhat common for some babies to flip themselves. The best strategy is to try to simplify the cage set up, at least until they get a little older and stop flipping themselves. Btw, if they flip while you are not home and stay that way long enough, they can die. So caution is warranted.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
If you add side walls to your walkway, high enough so your toroise can't get over them, your tort will be limited to going up and down the walkway as intended.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! I try to keep the layout of my baby enclosures as simple as possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) great advice given. Does he have a hard time walking on the moss? If so switch it out for coconut coir and see if that helps

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Hey Elexus! Hope your enjoying the torts I gave you :D BTW listen to everyone who gives you advice on this form. It will help! Also dont forget you can always call me if you need anything :D I also have a bigger enclosure for if if you are interested. If you are make room for it haha

-Drew

elexusann

5 Year Member
Thank you Drew, you're the best! I love my torts, and they make me happy:D and thank you all for the helpful and good advice! I really appreciate it, it helps a bunch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.