New and need advice! Please help. x

Sharpjayhawk

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello Tortoise Forum,

This is my first official post, as I am new to the group, but have been looking at the threads for years. I've visited the site often with many questions about how to care for the 3 older wild box turtles that have lived in our yard for the past 7 years.

Anyways...I came upon a baby eastern ornate box turtle hatchling (it couldn't have been more than a few months old) towards the end of the summer. After consulting with my parents, we thought it best to keep the tortoise - named Bunnyscotch - under our supervision for the next few months so he might have a chance to get bigger and be protected from the many dangers in our backyard while he is still so little - including one of my dogs.

Until about two weeks ago, we kept Bunnyscotch in our backyard underneath the porch in a rather large Rubbermaid (pictured below) with fresh water, food, and multiple areas deep enough to burrow.

After further thought, my dad and I decided to build a more permanent enclosure in our backyard that could house Bunnyscotch through the winter and hibernation (pictured below as well). We were going to keep him there until he got big enough to stand a chance in the wild, and if he burrowed underneath the 10 inch border we buried on all sides that would be our sign he was ready to go back into the wild.

Tragedy stuck just one day after we put Bunnyscotch in the permanent enclosure as one of the dog's nudged off the rocks protecting the cover and got him. I was devastated when I came home and found the cover off, but quickly saw him lying on his back - arms and legs outstretched - alive. I checked over his shell and appendages for damages, but besides a few small dents in the shell there was no visible injury. I put Bunnyscotch back in the enclosure with more big rocks to protect him and have had no problems with the dog since.

Yesterday I got Bunnyscotch out to clean him off and check to make sure the few places that were dented on his shell were doing ok. That's when I noticed he has no movement in his back legs.

I have read many other forums about this and how it could be malnourishment, lack of sunlight, etc. so I put him in a warm bucket of water to test if he could use his back legs at all to swim and sadly they never moved.

I am considering bringing him inside and putting him under a "natural sunlight lamp" which is supposed to simulate the UV rays of the sun. It's for humans but I thought if the reason Bunnyscotch isn't using his back legs is because of poor environment this might help.

If I do keep him inside what would you guys suggest I use as "bedding" or "terrain" inside his enclosure to ensure he can get around but also simulate his natural habitat?

Obviously a veterinarian's opinion would be ideal...but do you think it's more likely my dog paralyzed him when she was "playing" with him and that he will never regain function again?

Any and all suggestions regarding this situation would be very helpful and appreciated.

I want to do what's right and help him survive, but I know in the wild without the use of his back legs he would more than likely die.

Please help

IMG_7880.JPG IMG_9227.JPG IMG_9545.JPG IMG_9556.JPG IMG_9558.JPG IMG_7879.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
looks like it may be a florida box turtle (Terrapene carolina bauri)

some of our members have had good luck with aqua therapy. under close supervision, place the turtle in deep water and allow him to swim. if he sinks, you have to support him.

(they're not native to kansas)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Some box turtles experience a sudden paralysis syndrome that can affect the limbs and disappears as soon as it appears, or can also be a long term disability. Researchers have not yet determined what causes it and how to treat it, but as stated before, aquatherapy has been thought to help. That turtle does resemble hatchling Florida box turtles but if you found it roaming around outside in Kansas it is undoubtedly a uniquely patterned Ornate. One of the most identifiable traits of a Florida box turtle is a yellow stripe extending from behind the eye, backwards along the neck towards the shell.

Sharpjayhawk

Kansas
IMG_4958.JPG IMG_6198.JPG Thank you both for your input. I will try aquatherapy for the next few weeks and see if more leg mobility is acquired!

I guess it is possible Bunnyscotch could be a descendant of a Florida box turtle. The mother and father both have a yellow stripe down their backs as you described (see pictures). But it would be rather odd if both some how managed to migrate to Kansas and then stayed, considering all I've read about box tortoises' innate need to return home. Definitely interesting none the less!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
View attachment 218377 View attachment 218378 Thank you both for your input. I will try aquatherapy for the next few weeks and see if more leg mobility is acquired!

I guess it is possible Bunnyscotch could be a descendant of a Florida box turtle. The mother and father both have a yellow stripe down their backs as you described (see pictures). But it would be rather odd if both some how managed to migrate to Kansas and then stayed, considering all I've read about box tortoises' innate need to return home. Definitely interesting none the less!!
A plastron photo would help identify. And close up of adults face.

Sharpjayhawk

Kansas
I started aquatherapy today and my turtle moved his back legs VERY slightly while in the water, but when he got out I was petting his shell and when my finger reached the bottom of his shell (down by his back legs that I thought were paralyzed) the legs both came out and he was able to push off with them and wiggle his tail. His front legs did not come out as if he wanted to get away, but he was able to push himself up with his back legs and almost wag his butt. Does anyone know what this could mean?? Or what it could imply for his long term recovery/chances of regaining function in his legs??