New and nervous red foot mama

Benda183

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
5670D4E3-1BC1-41F4-BDD3-F49C69741012.jpegHi my fellow tortoise parents :)

My name is Petra and just little over a week ago I decided to buy my first red foot tortoise. I did some research first to make sure I can provide whatever she/he will need but I must be honest, I am struggling a little and searching forums and browsing internet in daily basis.

I bought a tortoise box for her, I named her Lucy and she’s 2 years old. She doesn’t like being in there. She’s always hiding and not eating much and then when I let her out on the grass, she goes on a exploring mission for hours and eats like a horse.
so I decided to set her up outside but I’m struggling to keep the temperature and humidity up to par.
We live in Hawaii and it gets hot during the day and cooler at night, add the wind to it and it gets pretty cold.

I put infrared lamp inside her little ‘bedroom’, but it got really hot, close to 100 and the humidity was below 50.
I sprayed water there several times during the evening and night and when I woke up, the humidity was below 40!

For tonight I’m putting some foam insulation in the cracks below the lid and going to wrap towels around it to see if it helps a little?
How do you do this with outside enclosures?

I will eventually build her outside run when we have a wall around our property in few months time.

Attachments

• 7527EEBE-1531-4B56-A039-33576496A50F.jpeg
    7527EEBE-1531-4B56-A039-33576496A50F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Jan A

Boulder, CO
View attachment 326756Hi my fellow tortoise parents :)

My name is Petra and just little over a week ago I decided to buy my first red foot tortoise. I did some research first to make sure I can provide whatever she/he will need but I must be honest, I am struggling a little and searching forums and browsing internet in daily basis.

I bought a tortoise box for her, I named her Lucy and she’s 2 years old. She doesn’t like being in there. She’s always hiding and not eating much and then when I let her out on the grass, she goes on a exploring mission for hours and eats like a horse.
so I decided to set her up outside but I’m struggling to keep the temperature and humidity up to par.
We live in Hawaii and it gets hot during the day and cooler at night, add the wind to it and it gets pretty cold.

I put infrared lamp inside her little ‘bedroom’, but it got really hot, close to 100 and the humidity was below 50.
I sprayed water there several times during the evening and night and when I woke up, the humidity was below 40!

For tonight I’m putting some foam insulation in the cracks below the lid and going to wrap towels around it to see if it helps a little?

I will eventually build her outside run when we have a wall around our property in few months time.
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your new tort. What are your outdoor temps day & night? Here at TFO is where you're going to find the latest info on tort care, enclosures, tort food & the like. Everything on the Internet is suspect &/or outdated. There's a care sheet for Red foots somewhere & please post & ask questions.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
WTTC!

You have probably already learned how much info is on this forum, pretty amazing isn't it>? If you haven't found the sheets, look in the Sticky's.....they will show you everything including the stuff you didn't know, that you didn't know!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
View attachment 326756Hi my fellow tortoise parents :)

This is a really awesome set up. It kind of looks like a mini golf course set up like the design xD
I like it though. It's very clean looking, I would just add more fake or real plants for your type of tortoise like others mentioned here.

Benda183

Hawaii
This is a really awesome set up. It kind of looks like a mini golf course set up like the design xD
I like it though. It's very clean looking, I would just add more fake or real plants for your type of tortoise like others mentioned here.
Oh I will. This is just a temporary outside place. She just cruises outside for a while and then goes inside her box. But it gets hot in there and with the horrible wind we have here lot of the times, it’s really hard to keep humidity in there even when I have it all covered. So I have her inside when the weather is not cooperating.

I love looking up new ideas on how to set up outside enclosure for her. I can’t wait...