New and paranoid

tlhoward1992

Location (City and/or State)
HERTFORD
Hey yall. So to start I have no clue about how to use these forums and threads. I normally stay away from them due to drama and false information. But I figured I would try. I have a young sulcata his name is Kronk, I had one of his siblings as well but she got out down 2 weeks ago now due to injury, her name was Yzma.
I am so upset about her that I want to make sure I am spoiling Kronk as much as possible and giving him the absolute best life that I can.

So my main questions are here in NE north Carolina it gets cold and all grass dies. I can't keep grass alive period. I kill anything with roots. So how do I grow good grass year around for him? I did good over the summer when the room under our stairs was hot and the good seeds I have grew well. But now they wont germinate. So I need helps on growing Gras. I have proper seeds for him.

Also I want to make sure about diet. There are so many that say different things for what they should or shouldn't have.

I have been wondering about the hay treats for small animals as an occasional treat as well.

Thanks yall!
*pic is when I first got them in may*

Attachments

• 20220831_193608.jpg
    20220831_193608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

AmandaF

Congresbury
Welcome to The Forum, this is a positive forum. There are people will so much knowledge here. I grow grass & the weeds etc my tortoise needs in propagators I & pots on my window sills through. the winter. so far this is going well.
Amanda

tlhoward1992

HERTFORD
Welcome to The Forum, this is a positive forum. There are people will so much knowledge here. I grow grass & the weeds etc my tortoise needs in propagators I & pots on my window sills through. the winter. so far this is going well.
Amanda
Hello what are propagators? And how do you keep the grass alive? Mine dies soo fast I think I'm going to get at least 1 Harvest from ut then it dies

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can plant them in trays in put in a sunny window. Don't water too much, like you would a yard.
In the mean time feed orchard hay, mazuri, cactus pads, mulberry leaf, hibiscus, grocery greens is okay if you can add weeds and flowers/leaves.
Your tort is pyramiding and needs a high humidity closed chamber enclosure to get it too stop. They pyramided very young which shows they were started wrong. If he is 1 or 2years or younger, set up a closed chamber enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey yall. So to start I have no clue about how to use these forums and threads. I normally stay away from them due to drama and false information. But I figured I would try. I have a young sulcata his name is Kronk, I had one of his siblings as well but she got out down 2 weeks ago now due to injury, her name was Yzma.
I am so upset about her that I want to make sure I am spoiling Kronk as much as possible and giving him the absolute best life that I can.

So my main questions are here in NE north Carolina it gets cold and all grass dies. I can't keep grass alive period. I kill anything with roots. So how do I grow good grass year around for him? I did good over the summer when the room under our stairs was hot and the good seeds I have grew well. But now they wont germinate. So I need helps on growing Gras. I have proper seeds for him.

Also I want to make sure about diet. There are so many that say different things for what they should or shouldn't have.

I have been wondering about the hay treats for small animals as an occasional treat as well.

Thanks yall!
Hello and welcome.

As you've seen almost all of the care info found online is all wrong for this species. Vets, pet stores and breeders all learn from this same wrong info and then preach it to other people. Its a sad situation.

Here is the correct care info along with feeding info too:

zolasmum

5 Year Member

Thanks yall!
Hello and welcome. People on this forum are very kind and helpful, and you can trust them to give you the correct advice, based on their own experience - so ignore different advice from anyone else !
You will not be "spoiling" Kronk by giving him a good life, and you will get a lot of pleasure from seeing him happy
and thriving.
Best wishes
Angie

AmandaF

Congresbury
Hello what are propagators? And how do you keep the grass alive? Mine dies soo fast I think I'm going to get at least 1 Harvest from ut then it dies
they are plastic trays with tops on which keeps the moisture in. I hope you get on well. Amanda

AmandaF

Congresbury
Hello and welcome. People on this forum are very kind and helpful, and you can trust them to give you the correct advice, based on their own experience - so ignore different advice from anyone else !
You will not be "spoiling" Kronk by giving him a good life, and you will get a lot of pleasure from seeing him happy
and thriving.
Best wishes
Angie
I said something very similar.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you can also get 3 or 4 small terracotta pots. Start one pot with wheatgrass seeds. Three days later start another and so on. You can cut the grass with scissors. If Kronk snubs the grass at first. Don't give up, cut it in smaller lengths untop of other foods.
Try the Mazuri Tortoise diet. There are 2 types. The LS and the 5m21, most tortoises prefer the 5m21.