New and struggling with humidity

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Okay if I close off the whole thing and add a humidifier, would you say all the layers of stuff I have in the green house is necessary?
Just misting and pouring warm (not hot) water in the corners help, a lot of people don't use layers. In fact it's really easy to keep the humidity up in a closed tortoise chamber! :D

Mandy

Just misting and pouring warm (not hot) water in the corners help, a lot of people don't use layers. In fact it's really easy to keep the humidity up in a closed tortoise chamber! :D

Well I was thinking of keeping a thick layer, but just using cypress with a top layer of sphagnum.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Well I was thinking of keeping a thick layer, but just using cypress with a top layer of sphagnum.
Just use what you have now if it's tortoise safe, I just like coco coir :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay if I close off the whole thing and add a humidifier, would you say all the layers of stuff I have in the green house is necessary?

If you close off the whole thing you won't need a humidifier. I don't have any layers of substrate in my enclosures. Just fine grade orchid bark.

Mandy

If you close off the whole thing you won't need a humidifier. I don't have any layers of substrate in my enclosures. Just fine grade orchid bark.

The ceramic heat emitter I have is 150 watts and too hot. I have it hanging 8" above the ground - should I go with the 100 watt or 60 watt?

Mandy

Do you just spray the tank then with water?

Mandy

And I do appreciate everyone's help. I just was a little frustrated earlier, so sorry :/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you just spray the tank then with water?
The ceramic heat emitter I have is 150 watts and too hot. I have it hanging 8" above the ground - should I go with the 100 watt or 60 watt?

In a closed chamber, I just dump the water bowl (assuming no poop) in the substrate once in a while to maintain 80% humidity. No need to spray or use humidifiers.

The 150 watt CHE should be fine, but I think 8" is too close. It will never overheat your enclosure if you run it on a thermostat. In fact, quite the opposite, it will maintain your ambient temp where you want it.

Like this one:
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Your frustration is normal and understandable. No apology necessary. I find it frustrating that that someone like you who is trying to do the best they possibly can has to get frustrated from all the conflicting opinions and misinformation out there. I wish there was an easier or better way.

Mandy

In a closed chamber, I just dump the water bowl (assuming no poop) in the substrate once in a while to maintain 80% humidity. No need to spray or use humidifiers.

The 150 watt CHE should be fine, but I think 8" is too close. It will never overheat your enclosure if you run it on a thermostat. In fact, quite the opposite, it will maintain your ambient temp where you want it.

Like this one:
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Your frustration is normal and understandable. No apology necessary. I find it frustrating that that someone like you who is trying to do the best they possibly can has to get frustrated from all the conflicting opinions and misinformation out there. I wish there was an easier or better way.

Well thank you. I appreciate your patience with me and all my questions. For the time being I am running a humidifier, but gladly by closing off the other end with a shower curtain, the humidity is climbing and currently at 87%. What is an ideal range for a cherry head?

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Excuse me a second while I interrupt this very interesting convo.
Isn't a mercury vapor light bad for the eyes?