New and struggling with humidity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
And just for clarification, the only area I'm trying to keep humid is the taller section. Not the entire thing.

Why? Redfoots don't need a low humidity area. This will likely cause them to pyramid. Humid all over is the way to go, you just don't want a wet carapace all the time as they are prone to shellrot. A closed chamber allows you to maintain the needed humidity, but still maintain a dry surface in your enclosure.

Mandy

Why? Redfoots don't need a low humidity area. This will likely cause them to pyramid. Humid all over is the way to go, you just don't want a wet carapace all the time as they are prone to shellrot. A closed chamber allows you to maintain the needed humidity, but still maintain a dry surface in your enclosure.

I thought they needed a cool, dry area.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I made a homemade fogger, it's helped a lot... ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409171672.744097.jpg and maybe just put a plastic lid over that open end when you're out and about? Like a plastic bin lid?

Mandy

Or does anyone know of a safe, inexpensive material I can cover that open end with that would be safe with the mercury bulb to hang above? Or I could cut out an area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Buy a humidifier with a rounded spout and you can easily find a hose to fit. I did the same thing when my leopard was smaller. I would try hanging the plastic in front of the doorway of the greenhouse section. Then also put a separate top on the other half. This way you can use what you have and only add the few things to enclose it better.

Mandy

Buy a humidifier with a rounded spout and you can easily find a hose to fit. I did the same thing when my leopard was smaller. I would try hanging the plastic in front of the doorway of the greenhouse section. Then also put a separate top on the other half. This way you can use what you have and only add the few things to enclose it better.

What could I put on the open half that the mercury bulb can be hung over? Unless I have to cut out a hole for it regardless.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What could I put on the open half that the mercury bulb can be hung over? Unless I have to cut out a hole for it regardless.

When My,leopard was little, I used the plastic totes for his enclosure. I cut a hole so the bulb fit over the hole and the dome sit on the plastic. I then lined the plastic with tinfoil. It stops the plastic from melting. I did this with my Che's too. So, you could,use wood, or,plexi,or a stiffer plastic and do the same.
Actually, most RF owners use the tube Florescent UVB. This would be an easier option, as you could put it inside the enclosure along a side and use just Che's for heat.

Mandy

When My,leopard was little, I used the plastic totes for his enclosure. I cut a hole so the bulb fit over the hole and the dome sit on the plastic. I then lined the plastic with tinfoil. It stops the plastic from melting. I did this with my Che's too. So, you could,use wood, or,plexi,or a stiffer plastic and do the same.
Actually, most RF owners use the tube Florescent UVB. This would be an easier option, as you could put it inside the enclosure along a side and use just Che's for heat.

Would the two 5.0 t5 ho bulbs be enough uvb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought they needed a cool, dry area.

Is there a cool dry area where they come from?

I'll bet you $100 that your baby begins to pyramid if he spends much time in the cool dry area. Conversely, I'll bet you the same $100 that he won't pyramid if he lives in a closed chamber like mine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Using a humidifier is like plugging a hole in a dam with your finger. Its like using a bucket to bail out a quickly flooding boat.

Just plug the hole. Much simpler and makes maintaining perfect stable conditions easy.

Mandy

Is there a cool dry area where they come from?

I'll bet you $100 that your baby begins to pyramid if he spends much time in the cool dry area. Conversely, I'll bet you the same $100 that he won't pyramid if he lives in a closed chamber like mine.

Okay, wow. Like I said I'm new at this and my vet told me that they needed a cool dry area. I believed it considering she's a profession. I apologize. I'm just trying to make this right.

Mandy

Using a humidifier is like plugging a hole in a dam with your finger. Its like using a bucket to bail out a quickly flooding boat.

Just plug the hole. Much simpler and makes maintaining perfect stable conditions easy.

So no humidifier? Can I get a straight answer from anyone, please? I don't know who I should listen to here.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
So no humidifier? Can I get a straight answer from anyone, please? I don't know who I should listen to here.
Listen to @Tom, the vet isn't that updated in tortoise care. You'd never find a cool & dry area from where this tortoise comes from. Just make a closed chamber, the tortoise might like the dry side more & pyramid. When you finish building the closed chamber then you can add a humidifier :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most vets only know what they've read in a book or on the internet. Has your vet raised and kept many tortoises for many years? Here is how I view it. I've been raising, training and keeping Great Danes since I was a child. I'm fortunate enough to call a Dane breeder my friend. Now imagine if you did an internet search or two and read a Dane book. Can you imagine charging my 30+ year Dane breeder friend money to tell her how to care for a Dane? Which person, my breeder friend or the vet, would you rather take advice from? Which one do you think is going to know more about Danes? There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Animal keeping skills with any species are best acquired by way of real life experience. I don't know how much of that your vet has, but most vets are clueless when it comes to tortoises.

I'm sorry this is not easier for you. This is a public forum. None of us get paid for this and all of us have our own opinions based on a wide variety of experiences. If I were you, I would try to contact someone who has been successfully raising and breeding YOUR species for many years. If they are from a climate similar to yours, all the better. THIS is the person to take advice from. All the rest of us can offer tips and share experience. I can try to explain some concepts like the leaky boat analogy, but your head might explode if you try to take advice from everybody.

Just ask yourself, who is telling you these things and what experience they base their assertions on. If you are not sure, ask.

I hope we are able to help you and not confuse you. We all want to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure if your misunderstanding. Closed chamber is the only way to really keep the humidity where you want it and the easiest way. So, do your best to make what you have a closed chamber. Now, on top of that, some of us have had to add humidifiers. Myself, for my leopard. If you need to still bump up humidity, a humidifier, is an easy way to do it without having to constantly spray down the enclosure.
Unfortunately, most vets, pet stores and even zoos and many tortoise breeders still think the old dry way is,the way to raises tortoises.
It does get confusing, because there are more then one way to achieve a high humidity. The easiest is closed chamber.
I hope this helped. Don't get upset, we are all here to help. It's harder in just words, then if we were there to show you. We all have been where you are too, so your not alone.

Mandy

Most vets only know what they've read in a book or on the internet. Has your vet raised and kept many tortoises for many years? Here is how I view it. I've been raising, training and keeping Great Danes since I was a child. I'm fortunate enough to call a Dane breeder my friend. Now imagine if you did an internet search or two and read a Dane book. Can you imagine charging my 30+ year Dane breeder friend money to tell her how to care for a Dane? Which person, my breeder friend or the vet, would you rather take advice from? Which one do you think is going to know more about Danes? There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Animal keeping skills with any species are best acquired by way of real life experience. I don't know how much of that your vet has, but most vets are clueless when it comes to tortoises.

I'm sorry this is not easier for you. This is a public forum. None of us get paid for this and all of us have our own opinions based on a wide variety of experiences. If I were you, I would try to contact someone who has been successfully raising and breeding YOUR species for many years. If they are from a climate similar to yours, all the better. THIS is the person to take advice from. All the rest of us can offer tips and share experience. I can try to explain some concepts like the leaky boat analogy, but your head might explode if you try to take advice from everybody.

Just ask yourself, who is telling you these things and what experience they base their assertions on. If you are not sure, ask.

I hope we are able to help you and not confuse you. We all want to help.

Okay if I close off the whole thing and add a humidifier, would you say all the layers of stuff I have in the green house is necessary?