New and would like some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
I would love some advice. I'm new to the forum (and excited to see this forum :)!!

I have had a three-toed box for 29 years -- she's amazing (rescue). AND I just rescued a Russian Tort. I have observed the tort for over three weeks and it's healthy. Both turtles seem healthy happy and active :). They are both in a huge pen (with all kinds of interesting things) outside with fresh live plants and each has the type of food they require. This is new for the Tort so I need to keep an eye on him to be sure he's eating enough-- but can I keep them together? The pen is very large and I plan to bring them inside soon as well (large pen). My box turtle loves having company -- and she loves her water bowl and rain. Do tortoises love rain as well? I would think so... he was thrilled to be in the sun (he has many basking options and chose to sit in the sun :).
Thoughts?? Thank you!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Diane:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, its not a good idea to keep a Russian with a box turtle. They require different types of habitat and different care. But most especially, because Russian tortoises are usually quite infested with parasites from the poor conditions they had to endure getting to this country.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Thanks! I will get "Hemi" (the tort) to a vet to double check for infestation. Right now he seems very healthy. "Herbie" my boxturtle seems to really enjoy his company. I will be bringing them inside soon (in 2 days) and will seperate them (Herbie is use to her winter home of 25+ years and I ordered a Tortoise house for Mr. "Hemi"). Outside the pen is large enough to provide both habitats. Can you tell me specifically what the differences are for a Russian tort and box turtle habitat? I still have time to reconsider keeping Hemi. However if I give him back his future is bleak... I'd rather try to make this work....

Thank you so much! PS... One vet I see is a reptile doctor for a local zoo- so they do get good care.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome.I would agree with Yvonne's advice of not keeping them together.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
jackrat said:
Welcome.I would agree with Yvonne's advice of not keeping them together.

Ok - if outside they may see each other but inside I will keep them in two different homes. Herbie needs moisture- and fruits. It's amazing how different they are. Very interesting. Herbie loves worms and Hemi loves weeds! Among other things of course. Thanks! :)

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Thanks everyone! I can't tell you how awesome little Hemi is! He's not lliving with my box turtle Herbie-- although I let them run around together for a short time, they have their own homes and food and water! Hemi is in the tortoise house that I read about on this site -- it's very cool. Herbie is in her aquarium that she loves to look out of - she likes to know what's going on.

Thanks again for your help.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Welcome to the forum and I like that you rescue turtles and tortoises thats great they are the best creatures ever. Thank the LORD for Everything. :D

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to see pics of both of your torts so I can see how awesome they (really) are :D :cool:

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
martinfre said:
Hello.. nice to hear, that you rescued hemi :)
but why do you relocate the torts in your house?

I simply moved them into another room- where they are in thier existing pens, but can also run around together (when i let them out) and get exercise. My box turtle wasn't too happy about coming inside since it suddenly got cold here. All is well :)

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I'm excited!! Hemi and Herbie had a full tune up at the vet tonight -- and we got a thumbs up! Hemi has shell issues and needs some special care. I can help the little man so that's why I got him. No one else would :( but the vet gave me what I need and we medicated him there too. Soon he'll be looking great. He has the most wonderful personality. Herbie was a perfect patient tonight. Very cooperative :) whew- glad that went well- they are so cute together !!

Status
Not open for further replies.