New Baby Cherry coming enclosure question

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Im getting a new baby cherry soon i have an inside enclosure im setting up for her i want to be totally prepared when she gets here.
My nephew had a few wild house geckos i guess is what youd call them. Apparently one of them got in the new babys enclosure, its a tiny one about two or so inches long its been hiding underneath the water bowl. Will it cause a problem with the little cherryhead? The gecko can get out but chooses not to. Im planning on relocating the gecko outside tomorrow because its a little to chilly today. Just mainly wanted to know if i needed to change substrate and clean enclosure before the little cherryhead gets here.Can the gecko make my tort sick. Everything in enclosure was new . Its just been sitting up waiting for the little one to move in . Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
No .....but your Cherry can and will eat your Gecko!
(of course depending on size)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Aren't those little Mediterranean geckos cute? Lol. And a little annoying because they just run in your house when you open the door. I have an outside cat so I rarely see them anymore.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Re: RE: New Baby Cherry coming enclosure question

Thank you JD I will be sure to remove it tomorrow. :)

@ Elohi They are very cute. I have a couple outside cats also, i think the little geckos decided to move inside lol.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
It seems the gecko gets another day. Its raining and to cool to put him outdoors. :) Maybe tomorrow will be a nicer day.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
OK we got the little gecko relocated to a brush pile outside . Can anyone tell me what kind of live plants you put in your enclosures. I'm preparing her new home but I'm still unsure of what to plant in it. I have some small aloes and a couple small spineless optunia plants , I'm wanting to put something like ferns in it. Are they safe?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
it all depends on the type of fern exactly some are poisonous some are not. i have 3 spider plants in the pots with the pots buried in the substrate my red foot will nibble but hasn't actually ate them.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I have spider plants just didnt know if the were safe. Thanks. I will try to figure out what ferns are safe. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A poisonous plant is one that contains a chemical substance which produces a harmful reaction in the body of humans or animals when taken in small or moderate amounts. A harmful reaction could include allergic reactions, dermatitis or skin irritation, of internal poisoning. Allergic reactions are not always classified as poisoning and will not be treated as such here. This is because there is a wide range of plants that can cause allergic reactions, and sensitivity to a particular plant varies among individuals. Also, individuals can react in different ways after contact with a poisonous plant depending on their sensitivity level.

It is important that houseplant owners be aware of the potential problems that plants with toxic properties might cause. Be aware of the identity of your houseplants and learn if they pose potential threats to children and pets. If you cannot identify a houseplant, call your local Extension Center or the Home and Garden Education Center for assistance. It is also important to realize that many plants need to be consumed in considerable quantities for poisoning to occur. Often poisonous plants taste bitter or acrid and children and pets may not ingest large amounts. Young children, especially, should be taught not to put unknown plants or plant parts in their mouths.

If a houseplant or natural decoration is ingested by children or pets and poisoning is suspected, call your family doctor, nearest emergency room or veterinarian immediately. The number for the National Poison Center is (800) 222-1222. They can tell you if a plant is poisonous and what symptoms might be expected with a particular toxin. You will need to provide them with the identity of the plant, however.

The following is a list of plants considered toxic. Remember that plants may contain a variety of poisons. They may cause symptoms ranging from a mild stomach ache to serious heart and kidney problems.

Common Name Latin Name

Amaryllis Hippeastrum spp.

Anthurium Anthurium spp.

Apricot kernels Prunus armeniaca

Azaleas Rhododendron spp

Caladium Caladium bicolor

Calla Lily Calla palustrus

Chinese Evergreen Aglaonema spp.

Colchicum Colcicum autumnale

Daffodil Narcissus spp.

Dumb Cane Dieffenbachia spp.

Elephant’s Ear Colocasia antiquorum

English Ivy Hedera helix

Fishtail Palm Caryota spp.

Holly Berries Ilex spp.

Hyacinth Hyacinthus orientalis

Jerusalem Cherry Solanum pseudocapsicum

Lantana Lantana camara

Mistletoe Phoradendron villosum

Mountain laurel (holiday greens) Kalmia spp.

Oleander Nerium oleander

Philodendron Philodendron spp.

Ranunculus Ranunculus spp.

Rosary Pea Abrus precatorius

Schefflera Schefflera actinophylla

Spathiphyllum Spathiphyllum spp.

Yew (holiday greens) Taxus spp.

Plants listed below are considered safe and not poisonous. Although eating or touching these plants is unlikely to cause illness, any plant might cause a reaction in certain sensitive individuals.

African Daisy Dimorphotheca aurantiaca

African Violet Saintpaulia ionantha

Aluminum Plant Pilea spp.

Baby’s tears Soleiria soleirolii

Bamboo, Golden Phyllostachys aurea

Bird of Paradise Strelitzia reginae

Bird’s Nest Fern Asplenium nidus

Boston Fern Nephrolepis exaltata

Camellia Camellia sinensis

Cast Iron Plant Aspidistra elatior

Christmas cactus Schlumbergera bridgesii

Coleus Coleus hybridus

Corn Plant Draceana spp.

Donkey’s Tail Sedum morganianum

Dracaena Dracaena spp.

Echeveria Echeveria spp.

Figs, Weeping and Fiddleleaf** Ficus spp.

Geraniums Pelargonium spp.

Goldfish Plant Columnea spp.

Impatiens Impatiens wallerana

Jade Plant Crassula argentea

Japanese Aralia Fatsia japonica

Kalanchoe Kalanchoe spp.

Lipstick Plant Aeschynanthus spp

Maidenhair Fern Adiantum spp.

Nerve Plant Fittonia spp.

Orchids Cattleya, Epidendrum, Oncidium, Paphiopedilum spp. Norfolk Island Pine Araucaria heterophylla

Palms Most nontoxic except fishtail palm, Caryota spp

Peperomia Peperomia spp.

Piggyback Plant ** Tolmiea mensziesii

Poinsettia ** Euphorbia pulcherrima

Prayer Plant Maranta leuconeura

Purple Passion Plant Gynura aurantiaca

Sensitive Plant Mimosa puddica

Spider Plant Chlorophytum comosum

Surinam cherry Eugenia uniflora

Swedish Ivy Plectranthus spp.

Wandering Jew ** Tradescantia spp.

Wax Plant Hoya carmosa

Zebra Plant Aphelandra squarrosa

**Sap may be irritating.

Remember:

Never eat any unknown plant and teach children the same.
•Keep poisonous houseplants out of reach of children and pets.
•Learn the names and potential toxicity of all houseplants.
•Any plant may cause a reaction in certain people. If a plant is eaten, remove the rest from the mouth and rinse the mouth with water. Call your doctor or the emergency room immediately if you suspect a problem.

References:

A Guide to House Plant Poisoning, Prevention and Treatment, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City Utah, 2000. http://uuhsc.utah.edu/pated/handouts/handout.cfm?id=2167

Barkley, Shelley. Poisonous House Plants, Government of Alberta Canada, 2005. http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/webdoc1376

JD~:shy:

Who Me?.....:p

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you JD thats very helpful. Im taking my list and heading to garden center.

And Yes you thats who.. lol luv that lil baby