New baby Eastern boxies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
Thank you all. Is it possible to give baby boxies too much calcium? I am having some difficulty getting my babies to eat veggies and fruits. They will only eat fly's and worms. Any suggestions to help them transition? I know as babies they are carnivorous. Thanks for any feedback. This is a picture of them feeding.

Attachments

• image-1882063785.png
    image-1882063785.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 33

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Awh. They are adorable. :) They really seem to like those meal worms.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Mine will rarely eat anything that's not alive until they're about a year old. You can try soaked reptomin sticks, or a little strawberry (sliced)

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
yagyujubei said:
Mine will rarely eat anything that's not alive until they're about a year old. You can try soaked reptomin sticks, or a little strawberry (sliced)

Thank you. I just want to make sure they are getting all the vitamins and calcium they need.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
katelyn0974 said:
Thank you all. Is it possible to give baby boxies too much calcium? I am having some difficulty getting my babies to eat veggies and fruits. They will only eat fly's and worms. Any suggestions to help them transition? I know as babies they are carnivorous. Thanks for any feedback. This is a picture of them feeding.

I didn't give my hatchling any vitamin supplements until she was closer to 1 year old and she only eats meat (different kind of worms and bugs) . She will be one soon and I offer other types of food but she definitely prefers the proteins . Just try to use a variety of worms and snails and pill bugs and that should be enough calcium . Also try to get them outside for some UVB and make sure you have a 5.0 bulb in their cage and that it is nice and warm and moist but not soggy

Ohh and be careful with mealworms ! NEVER throw them in the cage , they turn into carnivorous beetles and can eat the babies !!! Just ask Terryo , sadly it happened to her !

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Dry: Moistened Mazuri. Frozen: Blood Worms, Krill. Live: dusted worms, from meal worms to butter worms; But they LOVE (because easy for them to eat) night crawlers or red wigglers? Basically the kind most people use for compost...

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I've used zoomed natural hatchling pellets (the kind for sliders which are also primarily carnivores as hatchlings) and small ghost shrimp might work (which you can feed fish food which is fortified prior to feeding) though I have yet to try this I've used live blood worms (the maggot type used as fish food not the polychaetes used in marine fishing).

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Saloli said:
I've used zoomed natural hatchling pellets (the kind for sliders which are also primarily carnivores as hatchlings) and small ghost shrimp might work (which you can feed fish food which is fortified prior to feeding) though I have yet to try this I've used live blood worms (the maggot type used as fish food not the polychaetes used in marine fishing).

Thank you! I will go out and try to find some.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Top- Shelly. Bottom- Luna

Babies!

Attachments

• image-4191163145.png
    image-4191163145.png
    343 KB · Views: 28

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Saloli said:
They have some interesting facial patterns.

I'm super excited to see them grow. I feed three gut loaded meal worms to them everyday. Is that too much or too little? I also offer carrots and dig up bugs for them to eat occasionally along with flies. Two soaks a day in a shaded part of my yard with some sun exposure.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
katelyn0974 said:
Hello everybody! It's an exciting day for me. I just got my two new baby eastern boxies today. This is there new home. I have coco soft for their bedding. Both females. Ones name is Shelly and I have yet to name the other one. The other one is very active! I would love any information on caring for a boxie you feel is important, or even a fun fact. Name suggestions and any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! Have a great day!

Love the name ;)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
katelyn0974 said:
Saloli said:
They have some interesting facial patterns.

I'm super excited to see them grow. I feed three gut loaded meal worms to them everyday. Is that too much or too little? I also offer carrots and dig up bugs for them to eat occasionally along with flies. Two soaks a day in a shaded part of my yard with some sun exposure.

I think someone told me once that you cannot really overfeed a baby turtle. The good thing would be to get them different types of worms and bugs for some variety...

http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/ <<<I buy from this lady ALL the time and I love her products and she ships.. I especially love butter worms because you can stick them in the fridge. But the Repti-worms you can get in small size so it would be a good size for a hatchling boxie :) good luck, you will be a great mom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.