New Baby Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

Well I just brought home a little baby greek tortoise! He/she (still cant think of a name yet!) is so energetic and curious! It already ate a little bit of greens with some tortoise dust and calcium /w d3 supplement.

My question is, what time do they usually like going to sleep. It is 7:30pm right now and the babe is burrowing into the bedding. Is this normal for the first day... I assume he is probably a little stressed out. He seemed alert all day and had nothing physically wrong with him. Just wanted to make sure this behavior was normal!

I am uploading a video of the little bugger eating... but it is taking forever.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Ben,
Hatchlings are usually active for 4 to 6 hours a day, so it sounds normal to me. :D

Danny

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ah, thanks! I was worried for a little bit. But knowing that helps a lot, he just needs his beauty rest hah.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congratulations! It's great you are asking the questions to confirm how to take good care of him/her...before you know it, you'll be answering questions yourself. In the meantime: Have fun.;)

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks! The little one came out of hiding so I brought him (dont know, but just going to call him for now) outside for a nice little snack of vitamin inriched greens and a soak. He really scooted all around the yard even eating some wild clover, which I hear was ok for them. Now he is back at home looking for somewhere to burrow and rest.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations on your new little Greek. Looking forward to pics when he is ready for his first photo op. :D

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I finally got a video of the little bugger.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/Bruce87/?action=view&current=MVI_0577.flv

He seems to only want to eat when he is outside or under the heat lamp, does that mean something? Right now he is burrowing near the heat lamp area, not right at the basking area but close to it, should I worry about him over heating?

PS: I just realized what aweful quality the video is!!! Sorry :(

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ben, as long as he can get away from the heat he will chose his area that suits him best as far as the temp. I wouldn't worry. Seems very normal.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Cute little guy you have. I have two baby Greek myself I love the little guys.

My little guys like to bask in the under heat long periods of time but usually move around quite a bit. I usually take to them out to enjoy the sunshine for a few hour each day. The sunshine always stimulated their appetite.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just a little update.

The little guy is relaxing in his new home (in my open closet at college which is the least humid area, highs of 45% and lows of 30-33%). The word closet is used loosely. So far the little guy doesn't seem to like wild dandelion leaves or clovers so much... I need to find some endive hah.

Pics will come soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.