New Baby Herman tortoise

mackee.miller

Location (City and/or State)
Dayton Ohio
I got my baby in the mail today! He seems to be okay, but he isn't really moving around a ton. I have the heat and light lamp. He has water and food but he is so small Im not sure he can get to them. Also my substrate seems difficult for him to move over. Is this because its the wrong substrate or is there too much? The substrate I have is Eco earth compressed coconut fiber. I have attached some pictures of my enclosure, does everything look okay?

IMG_6772.jpgIMG_6771.jpgIMG_6773.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
he won’t be able to reach the water and the food. what kind of UVB are you using?
try soaking him for 20 minutes. i don’t think the substrate is the problem try patting it down

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello and welcome! What a cutie. I have a Hermann’s too, though older. If you switch your food and water dishes to simple terra-cotta plant saucers and sink them in your substrate ground level, that would be easier for him. You could also try fine grade orchid bark for the substrate. You are probably going to want a more closed top enclosure for keeping it nice and humid in there for your baby. Check out the Care sheet for Hermann’s, really good.

Reactions: Ink

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
This one

mackee.miller

Dayton Ohio
Hello and welcome! What a cutie. I have a Hermann’s too, though older. If you switch your food and water dishes to simple terra-cotta plant saucers and sink them in your substrate ground level, that would be easier for him. You could also try fine grade orchid bark for the substrate. You are probably going to want a more closed top enclosure for keeping it nice and humid in there for your baby. Check out the Care sheet for Hermann’s, really good.
What kind of top should I have?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Something to make it a “closed Chamber.” It is hard to keep the type of humidity and temps you need for a baby tort with the screen top of that type of enclosure. There are a few people on here who were able to covert the top like yours. It might be easier to get a large plastic storage tote ( pretty inexpensive) so that you can close the top with lights inside. I’ll try to find a pic from other members.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Soak? no I didn't? How should I soak him?
You want a small tub that he can’t climb out of, warm water that will only go just over the bottom of his shell and let him stay in there for awhile. I think 30-60 minutes, keeping water warm. Someone can correct me here if I’m off. I didn’t get either of my tortoises as babies.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
[/QUO
Here are two examples. Was having a hard time finding them, but there are tons on here.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Cheap way to making a sealed lid. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a small sheet of pegboard (used for garages to hang tools). Cut it to the size of the lid, as well as making a space for the light. Get a simple cabinet door handle to make an easy pull handle for the lid. Now, with the white side facing the enclosure, place it over your enclosure. The holes in the pegboard give more than adequate airflow, but limits enough to allow a really good amount of humidity worked up. Pegboard is also fairly mildew resistant. I used these lids for years with rainforest critters ranging from monitor lizards to tree frogs.

If you want to use the lid you have, get the same pegboard, and cut it to 3/4 of the length of the lid (up to inch away from the light fixture). Using zipties or grapevine wire, tie the pegboard to the lid. It will reduce air flow and trap evaporating water.

Domm

PA
I also have a hermanns hatchling in a rubbermaid tub. Is it ok to close the lid at night and actually seal it off? Can he breathe should i put the lid on and leave it cracked?