New baby Hermanns arrived today

SarahGregoire

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello everyone- I am new to this forum as my family just added a baby Hermanns to our family. He/she arrived today and seems very happy and active- took a nice warm soak upon arrival and then spent most of the day exploring his/her indoor enclosure- even ate some yummy salad (watercress and dandelion) for dinner. I welcome any and all advice about caring for a new baby tort as this is our first. We were told by breeder to keep in large plastic bin with cypress/coconut substrate. Added a humid hidebox and elevated basking spot. He seems to like resting in the corners but has moved around most of the day. I also found a cuttlebone at the grocery store in pet section. I am not sure about lighting overnight- still waiting for UVB and basking bulb to arrive so I'm using a regular light for now- temp is around 75 and I have sprayed the substrate to keep most. It looks very foggy in his hidebox and also underneath top later of sub. Thanks in advance! Sarah and family ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402015475.004480.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402015500.370498.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402015546.689756.jpg

Flipper

MO, USA
Adorable! :<3:

Congrats on your new baby Hermann's :tort: May I ask where you got him? I'm getting my own baby next week and I'm super excited:D

Good luck! :) Any name ideas?

SarahGregoire

New York
Thanks- do you find that the cheap store bought thermometers and humidity gauges are accurate.

This baby is about 6 weeks old- when we will be able to tell if it's male or female? Are there ways to tell at this early age?

Also how often should we be soaking/bathing the baby? Is there such thing as too often?

SarahGregoire

New York
Ordered from Tyler at Tortoise Supply in Arizona- he could not be nicer or more knowledgable. Names are being chosen by my 6 year old- so far the top contenders are Turbo and Shellington.