New baby hermanns

Anji

Location (City and/or State)
Banchory uk
Hi I have just recieved a Herman's tortoise, I have the combined uva and uvb bulb at one end of the tortoise table ,coco substrate ,false Ivy and she also has a separate house she can burry in ,I say she as unsure if male or female ,she allows me to touch her stroke her etc ,I bath her daily ,I have everything from pellets to fresh leaves out but as yet not eaten ,is this normal settling in? In 1 week I will have a 6ft run made for her inside as I feel this one tho xl is not large enough ,I have read up a lot before getting her ,and I had a Herman's many years ago a male I rescued and learned going along ,I have ordered a uv tube for her new house so the lamp will be at one side and uv in the rest to assure vitamin health and calcium absorption, is it just a new mum worried ? or is something not right she's pretty healthy looking and not scared unless I move too quickly ,understable as I'm new to her ,but I talk to her all the time and rub her shell and she seems to enjoy that ,any input would be greatly appreciated thank you new mum x

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi I have just recieved a Herman's tortoise, I have the combined uva and uvb bulb at one end of the tortoise table ,coco substrate ,false Ivy and she also has a separate house she can burry in ,I say she as unsure if male or female ,she allows me to touch her stroke her etc ,I bath her daily ,I have everything from pellets to fresh leaves out but as yet not eaten ,is this normal settling in? In 1 week I will have a 6ft run made for her inside as I feel this one tho xl is not large enough ,I have read up a lot before getting her ,and I had a Herman's many years ago a male I rescued and learned going along ,I have ordered a uv tube for her new house so the lamp will be at one side and uv in the rest to assure vitamin health and calcium absorption, is it just a new mum worried ? or is something not right she's pretty healthy looking and not scared unless I move too quickly ,understable as I'm new to her ,but I talk to her all the time and rub her shell and she seems to enjoy that ,any input would be greatly appreciated thank you new mum x
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new baby! I have a 2 year old Hermann’s tortoise who has brought so much joy to my life. Generally when tortoises aren’t eating, they’re too cold. What are the temperatures in your enclosure (cool side, warm side, basking spot and overnight temp)? It’s good you’re soaking your little one. This should be done daily for at least the first year. I still soak my tortoise daily to ensure he’s properly hydrated. For the baby to feel most secure, make sure you have a lot of sight barriers and places for them to feel hidden and safe. It’s best to not disturb the tortoise too much while they’re settling in. My advice is to check your temperatures, make sure you’re offering a variety of foods throughout the day, and read this care sheet I have linked below. Compare this with how you have your enclosure is set up. There is a lot of misinformation and old info on the internet about caring for tortoises. I would stick to the forum and this caresheet as your reference for learning.

Anji

Banchory uk
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new baby! I have a 2 year old Hermann’s tortoise who has brought so much joy to my life. Generally when tortoises aren’t eating, they’re too cold. What are the temperatures in your enclosure (cool side, warm side, basking spot and overnight temp)? It’s good you’re soaking your little one. This should be done daily for at least the first year. I still soak my tortoise daily to ensure he’s properly hydrated. For the baby to feel most secure, make sure you have a lot of sight barriers and places for them to feel hidden and safe. It’s best to not disturb the tortoise too much while they’re settling in. My advice is to check your temperatures, make sure you’re offering a variety of foods throughout the day, and read this care sheet I have linked below. Compare this with how you have your enclosure is set up. There is a lot of misinformation and old info on the internet about caring for tortoises. I would stick to the forum and this caresheet as your reference for learning.

The heat side is at 80-83° the cooler side is 73° and her house is cooler my thermostat for our house is currently at 24° ,sorry I meant to say basking side is Fahrenheit and the same for the cooler side ,my mistake she sits under the ivy most if the day which is near the light but she's hidden ,not great with the double bulbs as I was used to 2 bulbs previously, I have everything from pellets to flowers and leaves some I picked and some I bought flowers I picked and washed ,I have bought many plants tortoise like to eat ,iv offered her everything but nothing ,as I said not impressed with the size I have a new table being made 6feet but 2feet and ordered a tubing and fixture for that ,she does love a bath but then once dried off goes back to the same hiding place ,I'll definitely read the care sheet thank you ?

Anji

Banchory uk
Thank you for the link its very interesting and will be changing my bulb !! I do use coco coir but keep it damp I check temperature regularly ,but she went into her house after her bath this morning after getting a bit of heat also from the lamp and surprise surprise she's eaten some rose petals I picked and washed fresh im totally over the moon! I shall leave her alone to settle in ,and just keep an eye on her ,I have lots of seeds planted and growing for the winter and plants that tortoise safe I bought ,I also live in the country so plenty of going out picking up fresh food,I am not sure what she has been fed on before she came from tortoise.co.uk overnight courier so I think this is a huge change for her ,I have lots of dried flowers and the pellets I soak ,I have cuttlefish and calcium powder and minerals ,if she doesn't eat it I change it to fresh in the afternoon as it wilts ,but I am pleased she has eaten something today ,its not a lot but its definitely a good start ,my home temperature is 24 Celsius constant ,and she has a dark box on the end with damp substrate if she wants to go in there,but thank you for the link I will ss it so I can refer back to it and be sure im doing it correct when I get her other box this week which is so much bigger for her to roam around and she has dried Ivy she likes to hide under ,I feel like a gushing new mum who saw her baby eat fir the first time ,im totally chuffed ? thank you

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you for the link its very interesting and will be changing my bulb !! I do use coco coir but keep it damp I check temperature regularly ,but she went into her house after her bath this morning after getting a bit of heat also from the lamp and surprise surprise she's eaten some rose petals I picked and washed fresh im totally over the moon! I shall leave her alone to settle in ,and just keep an eye on her ,I have lots of seeds planted and growing for the winter and plants that tortoise safe I bought ,I also live in the country so plenty of going out picking up fresh food,I am not sure what she has been fed on before she came from tortoise.co.uk overnight courier so I think this is a huge change for her ,I have lots of dried flowers and the pellets I soak ,I have cuttlefish and calcium powder and minerals ,if she doesn't eat it I change it to fresh in the afternoon as it wilts ,but I am pleased she has eaten something today ,its not a lot but its definitely a good start ,my home temperature is 24 Celsius constant ,and she has a dark box on the end with damp substrate if she wants to go in there,but thank you for the link I will ss it so I can refer back to it and be sure im doing it correct when I get her other box this week which is so much bigger for her to roam around and she has dried Ivy she likes to hide under ,I feel like a gushing new mum who saw her baby eat fir the first time ,im totally chuffed ? thank you
That’s great that she was nibbling on the rose petals. I’m sure she will come around and start eating more in no time. I’d love to see a picture of your new baby if you’re willing to share one. Have you decided on a name yet? Baby tortoises really have a way of stealing our hearts rather quickly, so what you’re feeling is very normal and common. I love my tortoise more than I knew was possible and I am so grateful for him everyday.