Shaye

Location (City and/or State)
Corona, CA
Hi! I'm new to the forum, as I just got a baby sulcata a few days ago. I have learned a lot reading on here and I feel far more confident in taking care of my little tortoise (Aristortle). I just wanted to confirm that he is being taken care of well for now. There is a lot of conflicting information around the web, but here is what I've decided on

Diet:
Grass
Dandelion greens
Weeds from around the yard (confirmed to be ok)
cactus pads
Strawberry greens (NO FRUIT)
Arugula
A few small bits of red bell pepper

Enclosure:
His cage is a 4 foot long, 2 foot wide, 10inch deep opaque Tupperware containers. Open top. It has 3 inches of eco earth substrate(soon I will mix it with the course ground reptile bark). He has two hides, one on the warm side, one on the cold side. He has a water dish (terracotta saucer).

Heating:
This is where my problem lies. My lamps don't seem to be strong enough. I have a heating pad under his warm side and TWO heat lamps. One is 60 Watt and the other is (red)75 watt. They are about 6 inches off his soil. His basking area is about 95° during the day when it's warmer. His hide says at a comfy 89° most of the day, sometimes dipping into 81°. I have moss to keep him moist.
The cold side is really cold though. It's usually around 60-70°. He rarely goes over there, and mostly stays at the warm basking area or the lone between the two areas where it's extra humid. I spray whenever I want to show him love, but knowing I can't over handle him. Maybe 6-7 times a day.

I am getting a CHE, it's ordered and on the way. I also ordered another heating pad to heat his cold side until California warms up in a few months. I am also getting a humidity gauge.

Aristortle:
He didn't eat the first or second day I had him, but has eaten the past two days. He mostly likes grass and cactus. He doesn't eat much, but likes to graze in between naps. He got a lot of sun today, and got two baths because I dont think it's humid enough in his habitat. Usually I bathe him in warm water every morning before he eats. He likes to roam my backyard(closely watched... I'm an over bearing mom..), but gets tired quickly and wants to bask for a while. I let him bask for a few hours and then bring him in and let him sleep for most the rest of the day. He will mosey around depending on what temp and humidity he wants. But he never wants to go on the cold side. I don't blame him... TOO CHILLY!! Maybe I'll get him a sweater.... Ah, I think the heating pad will work. I have decided I won't feed him any fruit until he is two or three, I feel like his tummy is so small I want it full of good stuff. When he's two or three I'll give him fruit once a year on his birthday, and most likely only half an apple slice or a piece of strawberry. Sort of dumb, but like I said I'm overbearing :)

Please give constructive criticism! I want him to live happily! No pyramiding!

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180111155727446_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180111155727446_COVER.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 35

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi and welcome! Very cute name!
If you haven't already, read these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You aren't going to be able to get adequate heat and humidity in an open container. You need to cover your container to keep all that heat and humidity inside. Once you get it covered, you'll want to dump water into your substrate and mix it around with your hands. When the substrate is wet underneath, and the enclosure is covered, you should be able to get the humidity up where you want it. Keep up the daily soaks. Twice a day is great.

A baby shouldn't spend much time outdoors, especially this time of year. If you want to prevent pyramiding, you'll want to keep him in his warm, humid enclosure nearly all the time. During the spring and summer, you can start putting him out for about an hour a day. You'll need to keep a close watch because small torts can get carried off by birds.

Get rid of the red bulb. They can see colors, and they don't understand when everything looks red. You can use the CHE for heat. Do you have a UVB bulb?

Torts don't need treats. If you want to give him treats, you can give him cactus pads. My tortoise loves hibiscus and it is good for him. Many babies won't eat grass. If yours does, that's great, but if it doesn't there are plenty of other things you can feed him.

I know the sweater comment was a joke, but just in case you didn't realize it, a sweater or a blanket doesn't help a cold-blooded animal get warm.

Shaye

Corona, CA
Hi and welcome! Very cute name!
If you haven't already, read these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You aren't going to be able to get adequate heat and humidity in an open container. You need to cover your container to keep all that heat and humidity inside. Once you get it covered, you'll want to dump water into your substrate and mix it around with your hands. When the substrate is wet underneath, and the enclosure is covered, you should be able to get the humidity up where you want it. Keep up the daily soaks. Twice a day is great.

A baby shouldn't spend much time outdoors, especially this time of year. If you want to prevent pyramiding, you'll want to keep him in his warm, humid enclosure nearly all the time. During the spring and summer, you can start putting him out for about an hour a day. You'll need to keep a close watch because small torts can get carried off by birds.

Get rid of the red bulb. They can see colors, and they don't understand when everything looks red. You can use the CHE for heat. Do you have a UVB bulb?

Torts don't need treats. If you want to give him treats, you can give him cactus pads. My tortoise loves hibiscus and it is good for him. Many babies won't eat grass. If yours does, that's great, but if it doesn't there are plenty of other things you can feed him.

I know the sweater comment was a joke, but just in case you didn't realize it, a sweater or a blanket doesn't help a cold-blooded animal get warm.

Awesome! Will read.

I have covered the container tonight! I put the lid on 3/4ths of the way and covered the rest with tin foil around the heat lamps. I got rid of the red.

I only took him out because it was 89° today and nice and sunny. I do not have a uvb bulb and wanted him to get some sunlight. He has a smaller enclosure with a screen on top outside, very humid and two more hides. I also put his heating pad on one side in hopes to make sure he was cozy. I won't take him outside if that's what is right.

No treats. Got it. He loves cactus pads and grass. Should cactus pads only be used for treats?

Hah, yeah I know sweaters won't work. Plus there aren't any in his size :)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
wow, it was 89F where you are? It never got out of the 50s for us today in central California. If you have warm weather like that, taking him outside a couple times a week will get him enough UV. The screen might block a lot of the UV though.

Cactus pads are good for him, and I bet he loves them too. I was just saying there is no need to give him treats of things he wouldn't normally eat. He wouldn't appreciate it like we do when we eat a treat.

I bet if you looked, you could find a sweater in his size! There was someone on etsy who made costumes for tortoises.

Shaye

Corona, CA
wow, it was 89F where you are? It never got out of the 50s for us today in central California. If you have warm weather like that, taking him outside a couple times a week will get him enough UV. The screen might block a lot of the UV though.

Cactus pads are good for him, and I bet he loves them too. I was just saying there is no need to give him treats of things he wouldn't normally eat. He wouldn't appreciate it like we do when we eat a treat.

I bet if you looked, you could find a sweater in his size! There was someone on etsy who made costumes for tortoises.

I live in a very desert region of SoCal and we're in a winter heat wave. It got to 113° last summer and the coldest it's been this winter is 55° AT NIGHT!

I uncover the screen when I'm there to watch him, but I often go about my duties doing yard work and pruning plants. I don't leave him uncovered unless I'm actually admiring him, undistracted. Too scared a bird will swoop down. Only for a few hours? Or should I be leaving him out for a longer time?

Ah I see. I'll stock up on cactus then!

That might be cute for fashion, but I don't think he'd appreciate it. Maybe for his birthday I'll get him a costume and take some photos, better than a treat and it's too cute!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I live in a very desert region of SoCal and we're in a winter heat wave. It got to 113° last summer and the coldest it's been this winter is 55° AT NIGHT!

I uncover the screen when I'm there to watch him, but I often go about my duties doing yard work and pruning plants. I don't leave him uncovered unless I'm actually admiring him, undistracted. Too scared a bird will swoop down. Only for a few hours? Or should I be leaving him out for a longer time?

Ah I see. I'll stock up on cactus then!

That might be cute for fashion, but I don't think he'd appreciate it. Maybe for his birthday I'll get him a costume and take some photos, better than a treat and it's too cute!
@Tom has a formula, something like a hour a day outdoors for every inch in length. But don't put him out if the weather is bad.

When he is under 4 inches, it is optimal for him to spend nearly all his time in his warm humid enclosure to prevent pyramiding.

Shaye

Corona, CA
Is there a rule of thumb for the amount he should be eating? He eats a slice of cactus and a few blades of grass, weeds, and(previously, before I knew how bad it was) lettuce. Should I always have food available? I can't seem to get an amount that is proper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there a rule of thumb for the amount he should be eating? He eats a slice of cactus and a few blades of grass, weeds, and(previously, before I knew how bad it was) lettuce. Should I always have food available? I can't seem to get an amount that is proper.
When things are set up correctly they should be eating a pile about as big as they are daily. Some will eat even more.

This is a tropical species. They need warmth year round 24/7. No part of their enclosure should drop below 80 day or night. When temps are too cool, it can affect appetite. If it continues, it can cause a respiratory issue. Respiratory infection can be fatal in some cases, and the treatment some vets administer for it can be fatal sometimes too. In this case an ounce of prevention is worth much more than a mere pound of cure. The method of prevention is warmth. Never below 80. This is very difficult to accomplish in an open topped enclosure, and it is still difficult to accomplish when you attempt to cover the top, but still have the heating and lighting outside the enclosure. A closed chamber will work best. You can build your own, or buy one from Reptile Basics or Animal Plastics.

The diet you are offering is good. Much better than what I think most people start out with. I would still try to add more variety. This will be easier in spring when more plants are growing.

Shaye

Corona, CA
Should I sacrifice the large cage for a smaller one that is properly heated? Just until I can get my other two heating units? I also am planning on making a habitat for him soon.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think if you get a proper cover, you'll see the temperatures where they should be. If they aren't, then move him to a smaller enclosure until you can get the heating corrected. You don't want him to get too cold.

Shaye

Corona, CA
I have a (more) proper cover. I cut two holes in the sealing lid for the tupperware where the lights go. The temps are pretty close to perfect! The cool side is now 80.4 at night and the hot side is 89 at night. The basking spot is 104°.

I do have a bit of a problem though. He isn't very active at this point. He doesn't eat much. He hasn't pooped or peed in his baths recently. I give him at least one bath a day, but strive for 2. One in the morning and one at night. His enclosure is very humid and he has multiple places where he can hide and be warm and humid.

I tried to get him to eat some pumpkin, he doesn't really like it. I trick him by putting it on cactus and blades of grass, so he has eaten some.