New Baby Rads

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks, Tom! Dumb luck on my part for sure. Lots of trial and error over the last several years but only made it with the support of the members here guiding me along the way! I’m a big fan of yours...always so helpful and gorgeous tortoises you produce. I plan on getting some Burmese stars soon enough!
I've learned so much from so many people here. It is truly an amazing place to learn. Success stories like yours are the reward for participating. Its great that you've reproduced this fantastic species, and we are lucky to be able to see and share your achievement. Its inspiring.

BlakeATX

5 Year Member
Austin Texas
I love these babies. So beautiful! Congratulations again.

Do you mind sharing how you incubated them? Diapause temp and duration too?
Thanks! I cooled them at 65 degrees for about 40days (I was shooting for 30 days but forgot about them). I kept them in dry medium. After cooling period I bumped them to 87 degrees and added water dishes to keep humidity over 80 for 90days. 2 weeks prior to the 90day mark, I bumped humidity between 90-100 (again keeping the medium dry). My first attempt at incubation with slightly damp medium gave a bad mold growth problem and no viable eggs so I wanted to avoid that. They started hatching at 125 days (40 day cooling + 85 day incubation).

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks! I cooled them at 65 degrees for about 40days (I was shooting for 30 days but forgot about them). I kept them in dry medium. After cooling period I bumped them to 87 degrees and added water dishes to keep humidity over 80 for 90days. 2 weeks prior to the 90day mark, I bumped humidity between 90-100 (again keeping the medium dry). My first attempt at incubation with slightly damp medium gave a bad mold growth problem and no viable eggs so I wanted to avoid that. They started hatching at 125 days (40 day cooling + 85 day incubation).
Thanks for the reply. Most every account I see uses that or very similar temps to break diapause. I really intrigues me that what works so well in artificial incubation is so unlike what a wild nest would ever experience! A wild nest would never see temps dip even below the mid 70°s!! - IN the "coldest" part of winter.

BlakeATX

5 Year Member
Austin Texas
Number 7 hatched with a very large veiny egg sack attached. I’m very concerned about it but I read through the past posts on what to do. I have it on moist paper towels in the incubator. It’s pretty lethargic but I hope the little absorbes it in the coming days and makes it :-(