New Baby Rads

BlakeATX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin Texas
Haven’t been on in a while- here’s a new pic of some of the hatchlings including 2 larger ones (from the original batch I hatched on this thread)

Attachments

• BA85D1F4-3117-4625-B445-D05B482E0530.jpeg
    BA85D1F4-3117-4625-B445-D05B482E0530.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

zovick

10 Year Member!
Another from the original batch in this thread
View attachment 328516
Beautiful tortoises, Blake! Congratulations on the good work. Nice smooth growth on the older ones also.

If I knew this, I have forgotten. Where did you get your adult breeding animals? Was it from Tom Motlow in Dallas?

Bill Z

BlakeATX

5 Year Member
Austin Texas
Beautiful tortoises, Blake! Congratulations on the good work. Nice smooth growth on the older ones also.

If I knew this, I have forgotten. Where did you get your adult breeding animals? Was it from Tom Motlow in Dallas?

Bill Z
Thanks, Bill! I got my adults in 2012 from a guy named George in Dallas. I happened to find a post on Craigslist with adults for sale, which I didn’t believe at first, but turned out to be true. This was the only set of adults I ever saw for sale (even to this date) in Texas. If you hear of more, I’d love to get a heads up! :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
W
Thanks, Bill! I got my adults in 2012 from a guy named George in Dallas. I happened to find a post on Craigslist with adults for sale, which I didn’t believe at first, but turned out to be true. This was the only set of adults I ever saw for sale (even to this date) in Texas. If you hear of more, I’d love to get a heads up! :)
Wow! I don't think I have ever before heard of Radiated Tortoises being advertised on Craigslist. Did the seller know how valuable adults were? I am thinking not if he sold them on Craigslist.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I hear of any other adults in TX. Every so often, that fellow I mentioned sells some larger ones. He just got through selling a number of adults this past winter, so probably has no more to sell right now.

BlakeATX

5 Year Member
Austin Texas
W

Wow! I don't think I have ever before heard of Radiated Tortoises being advertised on Craigslist. Did the seller know how valuable adults were? I am thinking not if he sold them on Craigslist.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I hear of any other adults in TX. Every so often, that fellow I mentioned sells some larger ones. He just got through selling a number of adults this past winter, so probably has no more to sell right now.

Well I paid $10k for the pair so he must have known they had some value lol I thought I was pretty crazy to pay that at the time but figured I’d likely never see adults for sale again - glad I pulled the trigger but was a little nerve racking at that price. I’d have no idea what a pair actually go for. He said he had them for year but was more into exotic birds so wanted to trade them in to focus on that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well I paid $10k for the pair so he must have known they had some value lol I thought I was pretty crazy to pay that at the time but figured I’d likely never see adults for sale again - glad I pulled the trigger but was a little nerve racking at that price. I’d have no idea what a pair actually go for. He said he had them for year but was more into exotic birds so wanted to trade them in to focus on that.
You're sure they weren't stolen?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Positive. He’d shown me many pics over the years he’d had them with his kids as well as all of his bird collection.
There are two breeders in the Dallas area who sell lots of baby Radiateds. They have both been selling babies for at least 20 years. The seller probably got them from one of those two breeders as hatchlings and just grew them up.

Another note, adult females have sold for as much as 50% more than you paid for the pair, so you did well to buy them.